POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Heightfield problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:24:16 EDT (-0400)
  Heightfield problem (Message 11 to 20 of 24)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: RNG
Subject: Re: Heightfield problem
Date: 19 Feb 2002 07:17:29
Message: <3c724259@news.povray.org>
Also, if you happen to be on Linux (or some other Gnome-enabled UNIX), you
might want to try

  http://terraform.sourceforge.net

which features a quite-capable terrain editor with some (limited) povray
integration ...

Greetings
--> R

Ken wrote:

> Lars wrote:
>
>> Any recommendations on good tools to smooth and manipulate 16bit
>> grayscale images under win2000?  Photoshop is quite limited in it's
>> 16bit handling, and I'm not having any luck with Wilbur--it seems to
>> produce a lot of empty images and lose data.  HLA didn't run under
>> windows 2000.
>
> Have you looked at Leveller? - http://www.daylongraphics.com/

Post a reply to this message

From: Lars
Date: 19 Feb 2002 13:54:50
Message: <MPG.16dc3f5a32807e6d989685@news.povray.org>
>   Did you try with a lower resolution? For example divide width and height
> by 10. (You don't have to use it; just try it to see what happens).

do you mean the rendering or the height field source?

Reducing the res of the HF source doesn't change the boxing effect, only
I get larger boxes.  I tried resolutions from 500x500 up to 10000 x
10000, both 8 and 16 bit depths.  They all show the posterization and
boxing when smooth is enabled, just with differing size boxing.

Reducing the rendering output size makes everything lower res, and
eventually the boxes disappear as they become sub-pixel in size.  The
world looks reasonable at 640x480 or whatever, since each box is 0.002
pixels across!  So the scale of the boxes is constant in relation to the
world scale.

Post a reply to this message