POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Heightfield problem : Re: Heightfield problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heightfield problem
From: Lars
Date: 19 Feb 2002 16:37:51
Message: <MPG.16dc658922b4245d989686@news.povray.org>
> > I think he's trying make a HF out of a satelite picture, so I'm not sure
> > those macros would help. Still, should be easy to write a similar macro that
> > uses as image.

originally, it's DEM->TGA->edited image.  So yes, USGS data initially,
then edit it, then make a very high res terrain from that.

> > The macros take functions as input, so there is no problem with using an
> image.

I'll look into that.  I tried a mesh earlier, using Wilbur as a TGA->
Mesh converter, but it's normal calculations were broken, so it looked
quite faceted.   Even with the broken normals issue aside, I wasn't able
to get that many points into the surface before running out of memory /
hitting internal POV limits (I've got 1.5GB RAM--maxxed for this
machine) I think POV maxxed out parsing a 500x500 point mesh inc file.
But by using a macro, I might get farther without having to have a
several GB .inc file to parse.

It was also much much slower, parsing such a huge .inc file, but I can
live with that if it ends up working.