POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Does POV not use Intel's "performance" cores? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 05:49:29 EDT (-0400)
  Does POV not use Intel's "performance" cores? (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Scott
Subject: Does POV not use Intel's "performance" cores?
Date: 28 Jul 2022 03:05:00
Message: <web.62e234725b4be65419ad958a2fdca92@news.povray.org>
So I just got a new CPU (i9-12900) and it seems POV only uses 8 out of the 24
threads available, no matter what setting of +wt or menu option for thread
usage.

This CPU has 8 "efficiency" cores (with no hyperthreading, so 8 threads), and 8
"performance" cores (with hyperthreading, so 16 threads). This gives the total
of 24 threads, and POV correctly detects this as it tells me the benchmark is
going to use 24 threads.

However, it only ever uses 8 logical cores (as seen in task manager), which
leads me to believe it's using only the efficiency cores? See attached
screenshot of task manager, and below is the text from the benchmark:

CPU time used: kernel 0.19 seconds, user 700.03 seconds, total 700.22 seconds.
Elapsed time 90.20 seconds, CPU vs elapsed time ratio 7.76.
Render averaged 2906.28 PPS (374.37 PPS CPU time) over 262144 pixels using 24
thread(s).

Is this a known issue, or am I missing something?

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'task manager.png' (67 KB)

Preview of image 'task manager.png'
task manager.png

it is the operating system, not the application that decides which cores
get used by which thread. You may want to check the energy efficiency
settings of your operating system as they might assign all threads to
just 8 of the cores for some reason.

Thorsten

On 28.07.2022 09:02, Scott wrote:
> So I just got a new CPU (i9-12900) and it seems POV only uses 8 out of the 24
> threads available, no matter what setting of +wt or menu option for thread
> usage.

> However, it only ever uses 8 logical cores (as seen in task manager), which
> leads me to believe it's using only the efficiency cores? See attached
> screenshot of task manager, and below is the text from the benchmark:

> CPU time used: kernel 0.19 seconds, user 700.03 seconds, total 700.22 seconds.
> Elapsed time 90.20 seconds, CPU vs elapsed time ratio 7.76.
> Render averaged 2906.28 PPS (374.37 PPS CPU time) over 262144 pixels using 24
> thread(s).
>
> Is this a known issue, or am I missing something?

Post a reply to this message

> it is the operating system, not the application that decides which cores
> get used by which thread. You may want to check the energy efficiency
> settings of your operating system as they might assign all threads to
> just 8 of the cores for some reason.

Other applications use all 24 logical cores (Keyshot and CFD simulation tool),
and I certainly haven't made any changes in the OS specifically for POV as I
just installed it fresh. I'll carry on with some googling to find out what's
going on and if others have seen this with other apps.

Post a reply to this message