POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Does POV not use Intel's "performance" cores? : Does POV not use Intel's "performance" cores? Server Time
23 Apr 2024 06:06:06 EDT (-0400)
  Does POV not use Intel's "performance" cores?
From: Scott
Date: 28 Jul 2022 03:05:00
Message: <web.62e234725b4be65419ad958a2fdca92@news.povray.org>
So I just got a new CPU (i9-12900) and it seems POV only uses 8 out of the 24
threads available, no matter what setting of +wt or menu option for thread
usage.

This CPU has 8 "efficiency" cores (with no hyperthreading, so 8 threads), and 8
"performance" cores (with hyperthreading, so 16 threads). This gives the total
of 24 threads, and POV correctly detects this as it tells me the benchmark is
going to use 24 threads.

However, it only ever uses 8 logical cores (as seen in task manager), which
leads me to believe it's using only the efficiency cores? See attached
screenshot of task manager, and below is the text from the benchmark:

CPU time used: kernel 0.19 seconds, user 700.03 seconds, total 700.22 seconds.
Elapsed time 90.20 seconds, CPU vs elapsed time ratio 7.76.
Render averaged 2906.28 PPS (374.37 PPS CPU time) over 262144 pixels using 24
thread(s).

Is this a known issue, or am I missing something?

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'task manager.png' (67 KB)

Preview of image 'task manager.png'