POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A painful lesson regarding function arguments. u=x, v=y. Server Time
28 Mar 2024 16:33:50 EDT (-0400)
  A painful lesson regarding function arguments. u=x, v=y. (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: A painful lesson regarding function arguments. u=x, v=y.
Date: 27 Sep 2021 09:39:29
Message: <6151c991$1@news.povray.org>
Though long a user of user functions, today I ran face first into a
parameter naming trap which had me tangled up for hours. Though perhaps
not too surprising in hindsight, thought I'd pass along the lesson learned.

Fn0 = function (x,y,z) {...} // OK. Pass anything you want for x,y,z.

Fn1 = function (v) {...} // OK. Pass anything you want for v.

Fn2 = function (x,y,z,v) // Boom! What you pass for v overwrites y.

Looks to be related to u and v being synonyms for x and y. Something like:

Fn3 = function (x,y,z,_v) {...} // OK. Pass what you want.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

> Though long a user of user functions, today I ran face first into a
> parameter naming trap which had me tangled up for hours. Though perhaps
> not too surprising in hindsight, thought I'd pass along the lesson learned.
>
> Fn0 = function (x,y,z) {...} // OK. Pass anything you want for x,y,z.
>
> Fn1 = function (v) {...} // OK. Pass anything you want for v.
>
> Fn2 = function (x,y,z,v) // Boom! What you pass for v overwrites y.
>
> Looks to be related to u and v being synonyms for x and y. Something like:
>
> Fn3 = function (x,y,z,_v) {...} // OK. Pass what you want.
>
> Bill P.

Interesting! Thanks for the breakdown. I think I ran into a similar problem at
some point in the past year, but didn't try to pursue it (due to sheer lack of
understanding) and moved on.

Post a reply to this message