POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request for Comments: Quadratic Bezier Splines Server Time
28 Mar 2024 15:34:23 EDT (-0400)
  Request for Comments: Quadratic Bezier Splines (Message 1 to 10 of 23)
From: clipka
Subject: Request for Comments: Quadratic Bezier Splines
Date: 6 Jun 2021 17:52:34
Message: <60bd43a2$1@news.povray.org>
Hi folks,

the `prism` primitive currently supports, among others, cubic Bezier
spline outlines.

For certain technical reasons, I may need to add support for _quadratic_
Bezier splines at the render engine level as well, but it would be a
waste to not expose them to the scene description language (and, while
I'm at it, possibly also extend `lathe` accordingly).

An open question is, what keyword should be used for this type of spline?

For the records:

- Quadratic Bezier splines are a flavor of quadratic splines, aka 2nd
order polynomial splines.

- Quadratic splines are also occasionally referred to as "conic splines"
or "conic arcs", for reasons I'm not entirely sure of.

- `bezier_spline` is the current moniker for cubic Bezier splines.

- `quadratic_spline` is already in use for some quirky flavor of
quadratic spline that, in my mind, doesn't even deserve to live, but has
a long-standing tradition of existing under this moniker and therefore
isn't going anywhere in POV-Ray v3.x.

Here are some ideas:

- `quadratic_bezier_spline`, being the most accurate term.

- `conic_bezier_spline`, being a bit shorter.

- `conic_spline`, being yet shorter.

- `bezier2_spline`, the "2" referring to the polynomial order.

Personally, I'm somewhat unhappy with the very first for being rather
verbose, and the third for being prone to confusion with both
`cubic_spline` and `conic_sweep`, the latter being also used in `prism`.
I'm also not quite happy with the second one, because it's still
somewhat lengthy, and I think it isn't the most accurate of terms.

Thoughts, anyone?

Post a reply to this message

> the `prism` primitive currently supports, among others, cubic Bezier
> spline outlines.
>
> For certain technical reasons, I may need to add support for _quadratic_
> Bezier splines at the render engine level as well, but it would be a
> waste to not expose them to the scene description language (and, while
> I'm at it, possibly also extend `lathe` accordingly).
>
> An open question is, what keyword should be used for this type of spline?
>

> For the records:
>
> - Quadratic Bezier splines are a flavor of quadratic splines, aka 2nd
> order polynomial splines.
>
> - Quadratic splines are also occasionally referred to as "conic splines"
> or "conic arcs", for reasons I'm not entirely sure of.
>
> - `bezier_spline` is the current moniker for cubic Bezier splines.
>
> - `quadratic_spline` is already in use for some quirky flavor of
> quadratic spline that, in my mind, doesn't even deserve to live, but has
> a long-standing tradition of existing under this moniker and therefore
> isn't going anywhere in POV-Ray v3.x.
>

> Here are some ideas:
>
> - `quadratic_bezier_spline`, being the most accurate term.
>
> - `conic_bezier_spline`, being a bit shorter.
>
> - `conic_spline`, being yet shorter.
>
> - `bezier2_spline`, the "2" referring to the polynomial order.
>

> Personally, I'm somewhat unhappy with the very first for being rather
> verbose, and the third for being prone to confusion with both
> `cubic_spline` and `conic_sweep`, the latter being also used in `prism`.
> I'm also not quite happy with the second one, because it's still
> somewhat lengthy, and I think it isn't the most accurate of terms.

 I like the last one 'bezier2_spline'
To tell the truth I had to look up the quadratic bezier spline, to see how it
worked. I have looked at pov sorce code to help my prism/polygon program match
pov prisms better.
 After reading about the quadratic bezier spline I was wondering why it wasn't
already a part of prisms. It seems a logic step up from the other splines
leading to the qubic bezier spline. But having said that, Now it seems a step
back. I rarely use any thing but the cubic to make prisms.

Have Fun!

Post a reply to this message

> the `prism` primitive currently supports, among others, cubic Bezier
> spline outlines.
>
> For certain technical reasons, I may need to add support for _quadratic_
> Bezier splines at the render engine level as well, but it would be a
> waste to not expose them to the scene description language (and, while
> I'm at it, possibly also extend `lathe` accordingly).

> <snip>

> - `bezier2_spline`, the "2" referring to the polynomial order.

> Thoughts, anyone?

thoughts:

used in fonts/typfaces and svg representations of glyphs.  Cousin Ricky was nice
enough to provide me with an early release of his sphere sweep macro that allows
QBS.

degree.

So, you may not have to code a whole separate section for QBS - just write an
algorithm to degree-elevate a QBS to a cubic.  I have my SDL version that you
can have to adapt into suitable c++ source code.

IIRC degree reduction was a bit trickier, and I hadn't implemented that.

maybe he already has something to do that side of the degree manipulation.

What would be very nice would be a generic "bezier" keyword followed by the
desired degree, or perhaps, by the degree of the supplied control points
followed by the desired degree after elevation / reduction.

But that is JUST something to think about, before anything becomes "concrete".

Does that help?  :D

Post a reply to this message