POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SDL feature requests Server Time
25 Apr 2024 23:08:45 EDT (-0400)
  SDL feature requests (Message 22 to 31 of 31)
From: SharkD
Subject: Re: SDL feature requests
Date: 21 Jun 2010 12:58:24
Message: <4c1f9a30@news.povray.org>
On 6/20/2010 7:04 PM, Christian Froeschlin wrote:
> 4. This process only works if each feature request in the newsgroups
> actually gets read by member of the POV team, so it might be useful
> to add a new group povray.feature-requests or similar.

That would at least narrow down the places where non-dev-requested
features occur to a single location.

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

From: SharkD
Date: 21 Jun 2010 13:01:56
Message: <4c1f9b04$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/20/2010 7:04 PM, Christian Froeschlin wrote:
> 5. The feature request entry should link back to the newsgroup thread
> discussing the feature request, and a link to the new task should be
> posted on the thread as a notification.

...but then things end up scattered around multiple locations again.

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

From: SharkD
Date: 21 Jun 2010 13:18:58
Message: <4c1f9f02@news.povray.org>
I can cite Vega Strike as a project that HAPPILY stores feature requests
in a wiki because of the sheer volume of feature requests and to serve
as a place to direct people who raise duplicate issues.

See:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6280

And:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/FAQ:Feature_Requests

--
http://isometricland.com

Post a reply to this message

> I can cite Vega Strike as a project that HAPPILY stores feature requests
> in a wiki because of the sheer volume of feature requests and to serve
> as a place to direct people who raise duplicate issues.
>
> See:
> http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6280
>
> And:
> http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/FAQ:Feature_Requests

no one ever tired to stop you ... just where you were putting the list,
and the links to your list.

knock yer self out:
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Knowledgebase:POV-Ray_Feature_Requests
and:
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Knowledgebase_Talk:POV-Ray_Feature_Requests

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 21 Jun 2010 14:33:51
Message: <4c1fb08f$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/21/2010 6:38 AM, SharkD wrote:
> I would just like to clarify that I'm not advocating a "democratic" way
> of choosing which features should and should not be implemented, or
> which are that most critical. I just want a way to track and discuss
> ideas that isn't subject to being "blocked" or "locked" on some dev's whim.

Not talking about you specifically. There was just a mention, some place
up the threads, about how you can "vote" an item. This becomes a mess at
some point. There are dozens of issues with design, missing functions,
etc. in Second Life, and its scripting system, which don't get looked at
because its become the habit of the staff there to sort through the
morass of postings by looking at the number of people that voted "for"
the item in question. So, you can have an important issue that doesn't
get solved for a year, because no one knew to vote on it, and some
trivial widget, which seems popular, get fixed in 3 days. The only good
thing here is, I doubt the POVRay bug tracker is ever going to get as
big as the one Linden has. ;)

The only thing I agree with you on, since you definitely have made some
errors here, is that *maybe* the original poster should have the option
of re-opening a subject, as long as they post additional details, which
make what they are proposing clearer, or something. It is possible for
someone to have a good idea, but not an immediately clear concept of how
to describe it, then just not have time to add that (or forget to)
before someone nukes the item. That is a legit issue, imho.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 21 Jun 2010 14:42:50
Message: <4c1fb2aa$1@news.povray.org>
On 21.06.10 20:33, Patrick Elliott wrote:
> The only thing I agree with you on, since you definitely have made some
> errors here, is that *maybe* the original poster should have the option
> of re-opening a subject, as long as they post additional details, which
> make what they are proposing clearer, or something.

Fact is the OP had made 26 feature requests, almost 1/5th of all reports in
the bug reporter, and of those only 8 remain closed. Of those eight, six
were closed by me.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Date: 21 Jun 2010 15:26:19
Message: <4c1fbcdb@news.povray.org>
On 21/06/2010 09:04, Christian Froeschlin wrote:
> 6. Once a feature request is added it must remain visible whatever
>     state it is set to. I have no experience with Flyspray but I'd
>     expect there to be some configuration/solution for this.

There isn't a knob in the config for this. I'd have to dig into the code to
find out how the default search options are set.

(If anyone who is familiar with PHP wants to grab a copy of the flyspray
source and find out please feel free:)

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Date: 21 Jun 2010 15:27:15
Message: <4c1fbd13@news.povray.org>
On 22/06/2010 04:33, Patrick Elliott wrote:
 I agree with you on, since you definitely have made some
> errors here, is that *maybe* the original poster should have the option
> of re-opening a subject, as long as they post additional details, which
> make what they are proposing clearer, or something. It is possible for

There is an option to allow comments on closed bug reports, which I've now
enabled. This doesn't re-open it, but at least it allows for feedback.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 21 Jun 2010 20:24:53
Message: <4c2002d5$1@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason wrote:

> (If anyone who is familiar with PHP wants to grab a copy of the flyspray
> source and find out please feel free:)

I'm not familiar with PHP, but if the entry page of the
web site (and also the homelink/tasklist which is currently
http://bugs.povray.org/proj0?do=index) could be changed to

http://bugs.povray.org/index.php?&status[0]=&order=status&order2=severity

it should show all entries with closed ones at the end of the list.

Post a reply to this message

From: SharkD
Date: 21 Jun 2010 20:27:14
Message: <4c200362@news.povray.org>
On 6/21/2010 3:27 PM, Chris Cason wrote:
> There is an option to allow comments on closed bug reports, which I've now
> enabled. This doesn't re-open it, but at least it allows for feedback.
>
> -- Chris

Thank you! That should be satisfactory. (Though making them visible by
default might not be bad either.)

--
http://isometricland.com