POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : nice.... (3.7) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:31:07 EDT (-0400)
  nice.... (3.7) (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: ingo
Subject: nice.... (3.7)
Date: 28 Apr 2005 14:25:43
Message: <Xns9646CFCF5CFCDseed7@news.povray.org>
http://www.trustedreview.com/article.aspx?page=2900&head=60

Ingo

Post a reply to this message

From: Slime
Subject: Re: nice.... (3.7)
Date: 28 Apr 2005 15:25:18
Message: <4271389e$1@news.povray.org>
> http://www.trustedreview.com/article.aspx?page=2900&head=60

More than 10x speed increase with just four processors? Crazy!

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 28 Apr 2005 15:50:16
Message: <42713e78$1@news.povray.org>
Slime wrote:
>>http://www.trustedreview.com/article.aspx?page=2900&head=60
>
> More than 10x speed increase with just four processors? Crazy!

Well, the POV-Team has repeatedly and very clearly stated that one cannot
compare the benchmark results between different versions of POV-Ray.  And
certainly a beta version with plenty of bugs cannot be compared to an older
final version of POV-Ray.  As such, the comparison about POV-Ray 3.6 release
and POV-Ray 3.7 beta says absolutely nothing about the speed increase.

	Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

> Well, the POV-Team has repeatedly and very clearly stated that one
> cannot compare the benchmark results between different versions of
> POV-Ray.  And certainly a beta version with plenty of bugs cannot be
> compared to an older final version of POV-Ray.  As such, the comparison
> about POV-Ray 3.6 release and POV-Ray 3.7 beta says absolutely nothing
> about the speed increase.

It might not say anything about what the software is doing, let alone
that it has the same speed increase for every image, but it *does* say
that the image in question *was* created in 1/10th the time.  That's
saying absolutely something about the speed increase in one specific
case.  Which is still impressive.  ;)

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean

Post a reply to this message

>> Well, the POV-Team has repeatedly and very clearly stated that one
>> cannot compare the benchmark results between different versions of
>> POV-Ray.  And certainly a beta version with plenty of bugs cannot be
>> compared to an older final version of POV-Ray.  As such, the
>> comparison about POV-Ray 3.6 release and POV-Ray 3.7 beta says
>> absolutely nothing about the speed increase.
>

> It might not say anything about what the software is doing, let alone
> that it has the same speed increase for every image, but it *does* say
> that the image in question *was* created in 1/10th the time.  That's
> saying absolutely something about the speed increase in one specific
> case.  Which is still impressive.  ;)

You missed my point: The image created is not identical due to the mentioned
bugs, and some features are disabled.  Hence, the results of comparing 3.6
release with 3.7 beta just have *no* validity whatsoever.

And believe me, I know very well what the real speed of POV-Ray 3.7 compared
to 3.6 currently is.  The benchmark is still 10% slower than rendered 3.6
(and that compares the Visual C builds), and there is no magic in there for
the multiprocessor case - you get four times the speed of a single threaded
render, not more.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> You missed my point: The image created is not identical due to the
> mentioned bugs, and some features are disabled.  Hence, the results of
> comparing 3.6 release with 3.7 beta just have *no* validity whatsoever.

Meh. Even *I* can create a program that will draw a picture faster than
POV-Ray. Sure, the resulting image won't actually be the same, but it'll
be faster... ;-)