POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : nice.... (3.7) : Re: nice.... (3.7) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:25:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: nice.... (3.7)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 28 Apr 2005 21:03:08
Message: <427187cc$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook wrote:
> Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>
>> Well, the POV-Team has repeatedly and very clearly stated that one
>> cannot compare the benchmark results between different versions of
>> POV-Ray.  And certainly a beta version with plenty of bugs cannot be
>> compared to an older final version of POV-Ray.  As such, the
>> comparison about POV-Ray 3.6 release and POV-Ray 3.7 beta says
>> absolutely nothing about the speed increase.
>

> It might not say anything about what the software is doing, let alone
> that it has the same speed increase for every image, but it *does* say
> that the image in question *was* created in 1/10th the time.  That's
> saying absolutely something about the speed increase in one specific
> case.  Which is still impressive.  ;)

You missed my point: The image created is not identical due to the mentioned
bugs, and some features are disabled.  Hence, the results of comparing 3.6
release with 3.7 beta just have *no* validity whatsoever.

And believe me, I know very well what the real speed of POV-Ray 3.7 compared
to 3.6 currently is.  The benchmark is still 10% slower than rendered 3.6
(and that compares the Visual C builds), and there is no magic in there for
the multiprocessor case - you get four times the speed of a single threaded
render, not more.

	Thorsten