POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Stacking objects Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:27:37 EDT (-0400)
  Stacking objects (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: JC (Exether)
Subject: Stacking objects
Date: 15 Sep 2003 12:08:16
Message: <3f65e3f0@news.povray.org>
I'd like to do a scene with a heap of objects (cylinders in my case). I
don't want a physically accurate stacking of the objects, but I'd like
it to look realistic from a fair distance.

After thinking a bit about an algorithm I thought that it was not a very
easy problem. I had a look at the stacker*.pov scenes from pov distrib
but it is not really the same problem as all objects are put
horizontally in the example. The internet doesn't provide much more stuff.

Soooo .... You see where I'm getting right ??

Does anyone know of such tool (preferably a pov-script) that would do
what I seek ??

Thanks,

JC

Post a reply to this message

AFAIK, some Scatter-Macro was circling these
groups a few months ago.

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/18272/

Couldn't find anything more up to date...

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Nikias v2.0
Email: no_lights (@) digitaltwilight.de

> I'd like to do a scene with a heap of objects (cylinders in my case). I
> don't want a physically accurate stacking of the objects, but I'd like
> it to look realistic from a fair distance.
>
> After thinking a bit about an algorithm I thought that it was not a very
> easy problem. I had a look at the stacker*.pov scenes from pov distrib
> but it is not really the same problem as all objects are put
> horizontally in the example. The internet doesn't provide much more stuff.
>
> Soooo .... You see where I'm getting right ??
>
> Does anyone know of such tool (preferably a pov-script) that would do
> what I seek ??
>
> Thanks,
>
> JC

---

>I'd like to do a scene with a heap of objects (cylinders in my case). I
>don't want a physically accurate stacking of the objects, but I'd like
>it to look realistic from a fair distance.
>
>After thinking a bit about an algorithm I thought that it was not a very
>easy problem. I had a look at the stacker*.pov scenes from pov distrib
>but it is not really the same problem as all objects are put
>horizontally in the example. The internet doesn't provide much more stuff.
>
>Soooo .... You see where I'm getting right ??
>
>Does anyone know of such tool (preferably a pov-script) that would do
>what I seek ??
>
>Thanks,
>
>JC

I think that Sputnik's reply in this thread:

http://news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/32657/

may be something like what you're seeking.  I've made quite a bit of use of
his ideas -- modified slightly for my own needs.

Dave Matthews

Post a reply to this message