POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Moving the vanishing point. Server Time
6 Aug 2024 08:13:18 EDT (-0400)
  Moving the vanishing point. (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: Corey Woodworth
Subject: Moving the vanishing point.
Date: 2 May 2002 01:19:49
Message: <3cd0cc75$1@news.povray.org>
Hmm, I'm no art major and I have no experience with photography so I'm
probably gonna use lots of made up terms when I try to explain what it is
I'm after. Just bear with me :)

I've got this great idea for a scene in my head (don't we all :) but I'm
having trouble setting up the camera. I'm sure there is an easy way to do
this, in any case I certainly HOPE there is! I have the camera in the exact
position I want it in, I have the look_at and sky vector set as well and
everything is going great but... I want to move the vanishing point. The
look_at vector IS the vanishing point and I have it right where I want it,
but I don't want the look_at vector to be in the center of the image.

I wish I could find a good example of what I'm trying to explain. This was
the best I could do.

http://www.harcourtschool.com/glossary/math/images/vanishing_p8.gif

see how the vanishing point is up at the top left not the center of the
image. Thats what I'm going for. So how can I do this?

Thanks,
Corey

Post a reply to this message

> I wish I could find a good example of what I'm trying to explain. This was
> the best I could do.
>
> http://www.harcourtschool.com/glossary/math/images/vanishing_p8.gif
>
> see how the vanishing point is up at the top left not the center of the
> image. Thats what I'm going for. So how can I do this?
>
> Thanks,
> Corey

You don't actually set the vanishing point in POV.  Instead, the camera
points in a direction such that the camera points from the "location"
vector to the "look_at" vector.

The field of view is set with (IIRC) the angle parameter.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message