POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : No Recieve Shadows? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 17:01:26 EDT (-0400)
  No Recieve Shadows? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Chris Becker
Subject: No Recieve Shadows?
Date: 6 Mar 2002 23:18:26
Message: <3c86ea12$1@news.povray.org>
Here's my situation,  I have a cloud plain and I have a house. Inside the
house are several lights which cast shadows. They also have fade_power and
fade_distance modifiers. Now, my render time is extremely slow because the
house is rather complex. However, I take out the clouds and the render time
is pretty fast. The reason for this change, I think, is that POV-Ray is
testing for shadows of the house on the clouds, hence doing many tests
against a complex object. Is there any way to tell POV-Ray to not test the
plane for shadows? Or is there a trick to get around this somehow?

Thanks in advance!

Post a reply to this message

>Here's my situation,  I have a cloud plain and I have a house. Inside the
>house are several lights which cast shadows. They also have fade_power and
>fade_distance modifiers. Now, my render time is extremely slow because the
>house is rather complex. However, I take out the clouds and the render time
>is pretty fast. The reason for this change, I think, is that POV-Ray is
>testing for shadows of the house on the clouds, hence doing many tests
>against a complex object. Is there any way to tell POV-Ray to not test the
>plane for shadows? Or is there a trick to get around this somehow?

If you don't want the clouds to cast shadows, you can simply specify
no_shadow on the cloud object.

--
Mark

Post a reply to this message

It's the other way around, I don't want them to recieve shadows, like the
sky_sphere does not recieve a shadow from other objects.

"Mark Wagner" <mar### [at] gtenet> wrote in message
> Chris Becker wrote in message <3c86ea12$1@news.povray.org>...
> >Here's my situation,  I have a cloud plain and I have a house. Inside the
> >house are several lights which cast shadows. They also have fade_power
and
> >fade_distance modifiers. Now, my render time is extremely slow because
the
> >house is rather complex. However, I take out the clouds and the render
time
> >is pretty fast. The reason for this change, I think, is that POV-Ray is
> >testing for shadows of the house on the clouds, hence doing many tests
> >against a complex object. Is there any way to tell POV-Ray to not test
the
> >plane for shadows? Or is there a trick to get around this somehow?
>
> If you don't want the clouds to cast shadows, you can simply specify
> no_shadow on the cloud object.
>
> --
> Mark

Post a reply to this message