POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isosurfaces in v3.5 and how to convert them to heightfields? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:24:43 EDT (-0400)
  Isosurfaces in v3.5 and how to convert them to heightfields? (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: Isosurfaces in v3.5 and how to convert them to heightfields?
Date: 9 Oct 2001 17:20:57
Message: <3bc36a39$1@news.povray.org>

3bc31497@news.povray.org...
> But I mostly get a black result. The form is only recognizeable if I use 5
> or 6 steps istead of 255.. What's wrong, and are there more clever ways?

Why not just use a simple gradient ? Something like this (untested, but
that's the idea) :
#declare BMin=...
#declare BMax=...
isosurface{
    function{...}
    contained_by{box{BMin,BMax}}
    pigment{
        gradient y
        scale BMax.y-BMin.y
        translate BMin.y*y
    }
}

G.
--

**********************
http://www.oyonale.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Hugo
Date: 10 Oct 2001 06:47:41
Message: <3bc4274d$1@news.povray.org>
Hello everyone

Thanks very much for your inputs. Your ideas with using a pigment gradient
from 0 to 1 is just what I needed and I realize my own approch was very
clumsy.. As for the "heightfield { function { " keyword, I didn't know it
supported isosurfaces.. In the docs, it sounded to me like it was only for
generators like bozo, agate, leopard, etc..

Regarding isosurfaces in v3.5 I still think I could render many things
quicker in Megapov with method 1.. Let me test it..

Be back,
Hugo