POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Command-line option to turn off #macro or #fopen or #write? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:35:19 EDT (-0400)
  Command-line option to turn off #macro or #fopen or #write? (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Space Dude
Subject: Command-line option to turn off #macro or #fopen or #write?
Date: 13 Nov 2000 18:50:56
Message: <3A107E60.BE067E87@rap.ucar.edu>
Hello There.

I have an online povray rendering farm and I happened to be the victim
of a "hack" attempt already with it.  The user was quite intelligent and
used povray macros to edit my .login an .cshrc files on my machine.
<pout>  It actually worked and started to delete stuff, but thankfully I
caught it in time and saved everything.  So, kudos to whomever wrote it,
but in the future, I'd like to stop those types of attacks if possible.

Anyway, I'd like to bring the farm back online, but in order to do so, I
need to know if it's possible to remove the ability to do #fopen's and
#write's via the command line or something like that.  I don't want to
disable #macros because they're a powerful part of the povray 3.1
language, but I do want to make the renderer a little more secure.

Does anyone know?  I'm using povray 3.1g.

- Steve

--
EMAIL: (h) ste### [at] badcheesecom  WEB: http://badcheese.com/~steve
       (w) swe### [at] rapucaredu

Post a reply to this message

> I have an online povray rendering farm and I happened to be the victim
> of a "hack" attempt already with it.  The user was quite intelligent and
> used povray macros to edit my .login an .cshrc files on my machine.

Ouch. I would have liked to think the POV community was above this sort
of thing...recent posts show otherwise, though. :-(

> Anyway, I'd like to bring the farm back online, but in order to do so, I
> need to know if it's possible to remove the ability to do #fopen's and
> #write's via the command line or something like that.  I don't want to
> disable #macros because they're a powerful part of the povray 3.1
> language, but I do want to make the renderer a little more secure.

I notice you are on Linux...can't you just restrict access to those
files?

I think you would only need to disable #write, but you can't do it by
the command line or .ini file in 3.1g or current MegaPOV. It would be
very easy to cripple it's functionality by modifying the source, making
a version that has this as an option would be a bit more difficult.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><

Post a reply to this message

> > I have an online povray rendering farm and I happened to be the victim
> > of a "hack" attempt already with it.  The user was quite intelligent and
> > used povray macros to edit my .login an .cshrc files on my machine.
>
> Ouch. I would have liked to think the POV community was above this sort
> of thing...recent posts show otherwise, though. :-(
>
> > Anyway, I'd like to bring the farm back online, but in order to do so, I
> > need to know if it's possible to remove the ability to do #fopen's and
> > #write's via the command line or something like that.  I don't want to
> > disable #macros because they're a powerful part of the povray 3.1
> > language, but I do want to make the renderer a little more secure.
>
> I notice you are on Linux...can't you just restrict access to those
> files?
>
> I think you would only need to disable #write, but you can't do it by
> the command line or .ini file in 3.1g or current MegaPOV. It would be
> very easy to cripple it's functionality by modifying the source, making
> a version that has this as an option would be a bit more difficult.
>
> --
> Christopher James Huff
> Personal: chr### [at] maccom, http://homepage.mac.com/chrishuff/
> TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg, http://tag.povray.org/

Ok, I suppose that I should just write a script for grep for #write
before rendering, huh?  I shoulda just thought of that.  Ok.  That's
cool.  Thanks!

- Steve
--
EMAIL: (h) ste### [at] badcheesecom  WEB: http://badcheese.com/~steve
       (w) swe### [at] rapucaredu
           ste### [at] mailcom

Post a reply to this message

> Ok, I suppose that I should just write a script for grep for #write
> before rendering, huh?  I shoulda just thought of that.  Ok.  That's
> cool.  Thanks!

When doing that, be aware that something like this is also valid:

#      write(.....)

and you may want to play around with it a bit to find out what else is or is
not valid.

     Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> I have an online povray rendering farm and I happened to be the victim
> of a "hack" attempt already with it.  The user was quite intelligent and
> used povray macros to edit my .login an .cshrc files on my machine.
> <pout>  It actually worked and started to delete stuff, but thankfully I
> caught it in time and saved everything.  So, kudos to whomever wrote it,
> but in the future, I'd like to stop those types of attacks if possible.

It was IMBJR!
(kidding, kidding)