POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Linux/Unix Survey Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:20:28 EDT (-0400)
  Linux/Unix Survey (Message 65 to 74 of 94)
From: Christopher James Huff
Subject: Re: Linux/Unix Survey
Date: 16 Apr 2003 12:21:51
Message: <cjameshuff-80CF8F.12215016042003@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e9d7f02$1@news.povray.org>,
 "earthdog" <ear### [at] NOSPAMevil3dnet> wrote:

> This jEdit sounds like something I'd like to have a go at.  Thanks for the
> heads up.  I've heard something about the program but never knew it had a
> Pov mode.
>
> Should I google?  Or is it on freshmeat?  Or is there a link?

http://www.jedit.org/

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

From: Wolfgang Wieser
Date: 16 Apr 2003 14:49:12
Message: <3e9da5a7@news.povray.org>
> If you do have it
> installed please respond to this message telling us on what version of
> Linux/Unix, how long you have been using it and what version of POV-Ray
> you are currently running. This information will be used to help better
> support this platform.

I am currently running POVRay-3.5c on Linux. For actual film rendering,
I have access to a number of Linux boxes (>20 actually).

I am NOT using POVRay on any other platform than Linux.
(I don't have a Windows box at home...)

First version: 3.1g; I've been using POVRay for several years now.

Wolfgang

Post a reply to this message

From: Brad Paul
Date: 16 Apr 2003 17:22:29
Message: <3e9dc995$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 12:31:52 -0400, Ken wrote:

POV-Ray since 1997
Curent version 3.50c and Megapov 1.0

Linux since 1998

RedHat 7.3

Post a reply to this message

From: Fabien HENON
Date: 16 Apr 2003 18:15:14
Message: <3e9dd5f2@news.povray.org>
earthdog wrote:
> "Ken" <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>The TAG and The POV-Team are trying to get a better picture of how many
>>people here use POV-Ray on a Linux/Unix based machine. If you do have it
>>installed please respond to this message telling us on what version of
>>Linux/Unix, how long you have been using it and what version of POV-Ray
>>you are currently running. This information will be used to help better
>>support this platform.
>>

>>Thanks for your help,
>>
>>--
>>Ken Tyler - POV-Ray Technical Assistance Group
>

> I do most of my file generation in the Windows environment.
>
> I use linux for the actual rendering of my scene.  I have compiled Povray
> 3.5 on Mandrake 9.1.  Except for a couple of sputters that were not Pov's
> fault it compiled flawlessly.
>
> I render under linux as the compiled from source linux version is much
> faster than the Windows version (at least on my system).  I create on
> Windows because I like the built-in editor.  The speed issue in linux's
> favor has been present through the development and release of Pov 3.5.  Pov
> 3.1 was always faster on Windows (for me).
>
> I have used Pov under Mandrake 8.1, 9.0, and 9.1.  Also under Redhat 6.1,
> 6.2, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, and 8.0.
>
> -->Jeff
>

> ---

Try this :

http://pyvon.sourceforge.net

Fabien H

Post a reply to this message

From: Anatoly A  Yakushin
Date: 18 Apr 2003 02:56:28
Message: <3e9fa19c$1@news.povray.org>
Ken wrote:
AltLinux Master 2.2
kernel 2.4.20
POV-Ray 3.5 (from source)
1.5 years

--
Rgrds,
Anatoly A. Yakushin aka DOC

Post a reply to this message

From: Dave Bodenstab
Date: 19 Apr 2003 17:20:13
Message: <3ea1bd8d$1@news.povray.org>
Ken wrote:

> The TAG and The POV-Team are trying to get a better picture of how many
> people here use POV-Ray on a Linux/Unix based machine. If you do have it
> installed please respond to this message telling us on what version of
> Linux/Unix, how long you have been using it and what version of POV-Ray
> you are currently running.

FreeBSD 4.7, pov 3.5, in use since last fall (2002).

Post a reply to this message

From: olivier perigault
Date: 20 Apr 2003 08:24:36
Message: <3EA292D2.3080902@libertysurf.fr>
Ken wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The TAG and The POV-Team are trying to get a better picture of how many
> people here use POV-Ray on a Linux/Unix based machine. If you do have it
> installed please respond to this message telling us on what version of
> Linux/Unix, how long you have been using it and what version of POV-Ray
> you are currently running. This information will be used to help better
> support this platform.
>

> Thanks for your help,

J'utilise Povray 3.5 avec une distribution RedHat 7.3 depuis juillet

Post a reply to this message

From: user
Date: 22 Apr 2003 07:56:24
Message: <3ea52de8$1@news.povray.org>
Ken wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The TAG and The POV-Team are trying to get a better picture of how many
> people here use POV-Ray on a Linux/Unix based machine. If you do have it
> installed please respond to this message telling us on what version of
> Linux/Unix, how long you have been using it and what version of POV-Ray
> you are currently running. This information will be used to help better
> support this platform.
>

> Thanks for your help,

J'utilse povray3.5 pour linux de temps en temps surtout pour tester le

Donc Povray3.5/linux sur mandrake 9.0 et p3/600mhz
+
Blender 2.26/static :   http://www.blender3d.org
+
Povanim script python : http://jmsoler.free.fr/util/blenderfile/povanim.htm

@+

Post a reply to this message

From: Ville Saari
Date: 22 Apr 2003 10:02:23
Message: <x3n0iityu3.fsf@shawarma.nls.fi>
> The TAG and The POV-Team are trying to get a better picture of how many
> people here use POV-Ray on a Linux/Unix based machine.

I've been using POV-Ray or its predecessor DKBTrace since 1991 (on Linux
since 2000, Digital Unix, Solaris and Amiga before that). Version 3.5.

--
 Ville Saari

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob R
Date: 23 Apr 2003 22:39:52
Message: <3ea74e78@news.povray.org>
Ken wrote in message <3E983F78.51A4D6FD@pacbell.net>...

>Hi,
>The TAG and The POV-Team are trying to get a better picture of how
many
>people here use POV-Ray on a Linux/Unix based machine. If you do have
it
>installed please respond to this message telling us on what version
of
>Linux/Unix, how long you have been using it and what version of
POV-Ray
>you are currently running. This information will be used to help
better
>support this platform.
>Thanks for your help,
>--
>Ken Tyler - POV-Ray Technical Assistance Group

Hi, Uncle Ken!
After *MUCH* trouble and a bad memory module, I finally got Debian
3.0r1 Linux (kernel=2.4.18-bf2.4) up and running along with win98
(win95b would install, but not run. ;-{ ) on my newly built Pentium
IV-2.4Ghz. POV3.5 installed on both sides.
Been a POV-addict since '99. Very new to the Linux world, using
POVlinux.tgx from povray.org.

Just loaded this group, looking for tips/fixes. POV can't find local
*.inc files when run from X/KDE. From terminal, it can't find
/../pov../include. ??? Got povray.ini and .povray.rc files
*everywhere*!!! ??? With posts back to 2000, the answer must be here
somewhere!! <G> 1715 posts left to read!!
--
Bob R
POVrookie