POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Win32 PVMPOV Programmers Needed!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:25:12 EDT (-0400)
  Win32 PVMPOV Programmers Needed!! (Message 51 to 60 of 73)
From: daishi
Subject: Re: Win32 PVMPOV Programmers Needed!!
Date: 28 Jun 2000 23:35:08
Message: <8F61E1896dashixpressnet@204.213.191.228>
if I'm not mistaken there is a way to save the radisoisty file in pov-ray.
would making sure each time you did radisoity you saved the file work
around the problem?

ron### [at] povrayorg (Ron Parker) wrote in
<slr### [at] linuxparkerrfwicom>:

>On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 01:32:01 +0200, woo### [at] accumuse wrote:
>>If I understand things correctly you don't get the same random seed
>>every time
>>you start a render, this leads to the images not fitting together as
>>nice as
>>they should, this is very noticable if you are using radiosity. Since
>>povray
>>doesn't store the seed it will not be able to make your scene perfect,
>

>It's not about a random seed; it's about the radiosity cache.  When POV
>samples an area for radiosity calculations, it saves the result of the
>sample and reuses it later if it needs something sufficiently close by.
>If you abort the render and restart it later, POV starts over with the
>default radiosity cache (that's what it's building when it does the
>required mosaic preview) that doesn't contain all the fine-grained
>samples it had at the end of the previous run.  Thus, the samples on
>the first scanline of the new region probably looked at a point further
>away, or a slightly different point, than the samples on the last line
>of the old region, leading to subtle tonal variations.

Post a reply to this message

On 28 Jun 2000 23:35:08 -0400, daishi wrote:
>if I'm not mistaken there is a way to save the radisoisty file in pov-ray.
>would making sure each time you did radisoity you saved the file work
>around the problem?

For continued renders, yes.  I'll leave the question of whether it would
help parallel rendering as an exercise for the reader.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.

Post a reply to this message

<slr### [at] linuxparkerrfwicom>:

>On 28 Jun 2000 23:35:08 -0400, daishi wrote:
>>if I'm not mistaken there is a way to save the radisoisty file in
>>pov-ray. would making sure each time you did radisoity you saved the
>>file work around the problem?
>
>For continued renders, yes.  I'll leave the question of whether it would
>help parallel rendering as an exercise for the reader.

me thinks I'll try this tomorrow....

Post a reply to this message