POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : visible flourescent/neon tube light Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:29:58 EDT (-0400)
  visible flourescent/neon tube light (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Edward Lotter
Subject: visible flourescent/neon tube light
Date: 9 Sep 1998 02:08:42
Message: <01bddbb0$052ffd00$693ed3cf@edward.loop.com>
Try as I might (and search as I might) I have not been able to find a
solution to this one!

My first thought (when learning POV-Ray) was a light that looked like a
cyclinder.
The docs do NOT tell you that the light will ONLY emit from the source, not
the
entire object.

Okay, next try. Halos! Many frustrated hours later. NOPE!

Finally, linear area lights!! Even more frustrated hours later. I don't
think so!!

Since I'm not a fundi with POV-Ray, it's entirely possible I have missed a
salient
point in one or a combination of the above which would have solved my
dilemma, but
what it is eludes me!

How does one render a visible flourescent tube (like those in an office
ceiling)?
Or even a neon sign??

Thanks in advance for any pointers and help.

Cheers
Eddie

Post a reply to this message

> Try as I might (and search as I might) I have not been able to find a
> solution to this one!
>
> My first thought (when learning POV-Ray) was a light that looked like a
> cyclinder.
> The docs do NOT tell you that the light will ONLY emit from the source, not
> the
> entire object.
>
> Okay, next try. Halos! Many frustrated hours later. NOPE!
>
> Finally, linear area lights!! Even more frustrated hours later. I don't
> think so!!
>
> Since I'm not a fundi with POV-Ray, it's entirely possible I have missed a
> salient
> point in one or a combination of the above which would have solved my
> dilemma, but
> what it is eludes me!
>
> How does one render a visible flourescent tube (like those in an office
> ceiling)?
> Or even a neon sign??
>
> Thanks in advance for any pointers and help.
>
> Cheers
> Eddie

  I can't offer any direct advice on procedures to fix your scene
but I can offer a possible place to do some research.
    I know I have seen some good neon signs done in Pov in the
i.r.t.c. competitions. Maybe you could cruise through the entries
and find one that has a neon sign and the source code attached.
Learn form others. The i.r.t.c is located off the POV-Ray home page
at: http://www.povray.org

Ken

Post a reply to this message