POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : visible flourescent/neon tube light : Re: visible flourescent/neon tube light Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:30:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: visible flourescent/neon tube light
From: Ken
Date: 9 Sep 1998 02:47:24
Message: <35F615EB.CFEDA57D@pacbell.net>
Edward Lotter wrote:

> Try as I might (and search as I might) I have not been able to find a
> solution to this one!
>
> My first thought (when learning POV-Ray) was a light that looked like a
> cyclinder.
> The docs do NOT tell you that the light will ONLY emit from the source, not
> the
> entire object.
>
> Okay, next try. Halos! Many frustrated hours later. NOPE!
>
> Finally, linear area lights!! Even more frustrated hours later. I don't
> think so!!
>
> Since I'm not a fundi with POV-Ray, it's entirely possible I have missed a
> salient
> point in one or a combination of the above which would have solved my
> dilemma, but
> what it is eludes me!
>
> How does one render a visible flourescent tube (like those in an office
> ceiling)?
> Or even a neon sign??
>
> Thanks in advance for any pointers and help.
>
> Cheers
> Eddie

  I can't offer any direct advice on procedures to fix your scene
but I can offer a possible place to do some research.
    I know I have seen some good neon signs done in Pov in the
i.r.t.c. competitions. Maybe you could cruise through the entries
and find one that has a neon sign and the source code attached.
Learn form others. The i.r.t.c is located off the POV-Ray home page
at: http://www.povray.org

Ken