POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ** Visual Basic ** Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:13:17 EDT (-0400)
  ** Visual Basic ** (Message 21 to 24 of 24)
From: Rick [Kitty5]
Subject: Re: ** Visual Basic **
Date: 18 Mar 2003 03:36:31
Message: <3e76da8f@news.povray.org>
guy### [at] charternet wrote:
> But I also have to agree, an easy ocx patch between vb and povray
> would be super awesome.

Second that
--
Rick

Kitty5 NewMedia http://Kitty5.co.uk
POV-Ray News & Resources http://Povray.co.uk
TEL : +44 (01270) 501101 - FAX : +44 (01270) 251105 - ICQ : 15776037

PGP Public Key

From: Greg Edwards
Date: 18 Mar 2003 16:39:00
Message: <1prjy30hra8ck$.83kdilais87b$.dlg@40tude.net>
On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:35:55 -0000, Rick [Kitty5] wrote:

> guy### [at] charternet wrote:
>> But I also have to agree, an easy ocx patch between vb and povray
>> would be super awesome.
>
> Second that

I can't stand visual basic but I still think it's a good idea. It could
allow for "POV-Ray consoles" in other programs and web sites. If you're
afraid about licensing issues you could add a watermark or something.

--
light_source#macro G(E)sphere{z+E*y*5e-3.04rotate-z*E*6pigment{rgbt#end{
20*y-10#local n=162;1}#while(n)#local n=n-.3;G(n)x}}G(-n).7}}#end//GregE

Post a reply to this message

What's the licensing problem?  I thought the POV-Ray license was quite
liberal in what you could do with it, as long as you distribute the source
to your special version.

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 08:35:53 -0500, Rick Gutleber wrote:

> What's the licensing problem?  I thought the POV-Ray license was quite
> liberal in what you could do with it, as long as you distribute the source
> to your special version.
>
> "Greg Edwards" <edw### [at] hotmailcomremovethis> wrote in message

>>> Second that
>>
>> I can't stand visual basic but I still think it's a good idea. It could
>> allow for "POV-Ray consoles" in other programs and web sites. If you're
>> afraid about licensing issues you could add a watermark or something.
>>
>> --
>> light_source#macro G(E)sphere{z+E*y*5e-3.04rotate-z*E*6pigment{rgbt#end{
>> 20*y-10#local n=162;1}#while(n)#local n=n-.3;G(n)x}}G(-n).7}}#end//GregE

By my understanding, if you call POV from an external program, you have to
make it obvious that POV is being called. If you made a POV-Ray ActiveX
control, you could silently slip a mini-POV-Ray into your program without
mentioning it. This could enable users to steal the POV-Ray engine and call
it their own super 3d program and not even admit that it was POV-Ray they
were using. Very few people would take notice to an obscurely named OCX
file that happens to be drifting in the directory.