POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Some stuff related to output file formats Server Time
19 Mar 2024 00:40:11 EDT (-0400)
  Some stuff related to output file formats (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: clipka
Subject: Some stuff related to output file formats
Date: 29 Sep 2018 12:44:50
Message: <5bafac02$1@news.povray.org>
(1) Greyscale:

The `Greyscale=BOOL` INI setting and the optional `G` in the `+F`
command-line switch are currently documented (only) in the SDL reference
section for the obsolete `hf_gray_16` global scene setting.

I would suggest moving the documentation of these new-in-v3.7 features
to the file output options reference section, and essentially trim down
the `hf_gray_16` documentation to a reference thence.

(2) Changes to the PGM ("greyscale PPM") format:

Previously, the "greyscale PPM" (technically PGM) output file format
always used linear output. In v3.8, this will be changed to match that
of the regular (non-greyscale) PPM format (i.e. `File_Gamma` will be
honored if specified, otherwise the ITU-R BT.709 gamma transfer function
will be applied).

(3) Changes to the bit depth:

Previously, the bit depth (as specified by either the `n` in `+Fxn` or
by the `Bits_Per_Color` setting) was limited to the range 5..16; in
v3.8, this will be changed to allow values as low as 1.

Post a reply to this message