POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Stumbled across #version unofficial 3.71; support in 3.7.1 master. Server Time
29 Mar 2024 04:56:21 EDT (-0400)
  Stumbled across #version unofficial 3.71; support in 3.7.1 master. (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Stumbled across #version unofficial 3.71; support in 3.7.1 master.
Date: 23 Nov 2016 11:03:22
Message: <5835bdca$1@news.povray.org>
While looking at another issue I stumbled across the 'unofficial'
keyword having been added to the 3.7.1 master branch at some point? This
isn't the uberpov approach, but suppose it could be useful in marking
scene files as not working with any official POV-Ray release as in:

#version unofficial 3.71;
...scene here...

Should this keyword capability be documented?

Thinking otherwise patch developers are unlikely to know about it except
by stumbling across it as I just did.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Am 23.11.2016 um 17:03 schrieb William F Pokorny:
> While looking at another issue I stumbled across the 'unofficial'
> keyword having been added to the 3.7.1 master branch at some point? This
> isn't the uberpov approach, but suppose it could be useful in marking
> scene files as not working with any official POV-Ray release as in:
>
> #version unofficial 3.71;
> ....scene here...
>
> Should this keyword capability be documented?
>
> Thinking otherwise patch developers are unlikely to know about it except
> by stumbling across it as I just did.

That keyword has effectively been around for ages -- it just wasn't
syntax-highlighted.

Support for this syntax used to be mandatory in patched versions,
according to the old POV-Ray Modification License
(http://www.povray.org/source-license-3.6.html).

Official POV-Ray has been supporting this syntax in the sense that it
gives a special error message upon encountering `#version unofficial`.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 23.11.2016 um 17:03 schrieb William F Pokorny:
>
> That keyword has effectively been around for ages -- it just wasn't
> syntax-highlighted.
>
> Support for this syntax used to be mandatory in patched versions,
> according to the old POV-Ray Modification License
> (http://www.povray.org/source-license-3.6.html).
>
> Official POV-Ray has been supporting this syntax in the sense that it
> gives a special error message upon encountering `#version unofficial`.

Thanks. I now see the introduction of 'unofficial' to reservedwords.cpp
in commit e1e7b0d (Fix GitHub issue #53. include file version...) was a
code change in support & not a keyword addition.

I'm taking what you wrote to mean "leave 'unoffical' undocumented."

Bill P.