POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Stumbled across #version unofficial 3.71; support in 3.7.1 master. : Re: Stumbled across #version unofficial 3.71; support in 3.7.1 master. Server Time
19 Apr 2024 21:35:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stumbled across #version unofficial 3.71; support in 3.7.1 master.
From: clipka
Date: 23 Nov 2016 11:32:26
Message: <5835c49a$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.11.2016 um 17:03 schrieb William F Pokorny:
> While looking at another issue I stumbled across the 'unofficial'
> keyword having been added to the 3.7.1 master branch at some point? This
> isn't the uberpov approach, but suppose it could be useful in marking
> scene files as not working with any official POV-Ray release as in:
>
> #version unofficial 3.71;
> ....scene here...
>
> Should this keyword capability be documented?
>
> Thinking otherwise patch developers are unlikely to know about it except
> by stumbling across it as I just did.

That keyword has effectively been around for ages -- it just wasn't
syntax-highlighted.

Support for this syntax used to be mandatory in patched versions,
according to the old POV-Ray Modification License
(http://www.povray.org/source-license-3.6.html).

Official POV-Ray has been supporting this syntax in the sense that it
gives a special error message upon encountering `#version unofficial`.