POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : No Bug But A Suggestion Server Time
28 Mar 2024 09:40:53 EDT (-0400)
  No Bug But A Suggestion (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Sven Littkowski
Subject: No Bug But A Suggestion
Date: 31 Mar 2018 03:28:06
Message: <5abf3886$1@news.povray.org>
I am using the photo feature now. I recognize, while knowing the initial
creation of the photon map is slow, I still wished there would be some
sort of progress statement, like with the rendering - a percentual or
any update. just to see it goes on. That would work well with the user's
psychology.

Right now, the scene runs for 2 hours, and I still don't know if
everything is okay and there is a progress, or if I did something wrong
and the photon-mapping will never finish. All I see is
"Photon count ()".

And this would be my suggestion: to add some sort of progress info to
the POV-Ray status bar.

---
http://www.avg.com

Post a reply to this message

Am 31.03.2018 um 09:28 schrieb Sven Littkowski:
> I am using the photo feature now. I recognize, while knowing the initial
> creation of the photon map is slow, I still wished there would be some
> sort of progress statement, like with the rendering - a percentual or
> any update. just to see it goes on. That would work well with the user's
> psychology.
>
> Right now, the scene runs for 2 hours, and I still don't know if
> everything is okay and there is a progress, or if I did something wrong
> and the photon-mapping will never finish. All I see is
> "Photon count ()".
>
> And this would be my suggestion: to add some sort of progress info to
> the POV-Ray status bar.

POV-Ray already does exactly that: During photon shooting, the status
bar shows the number of photons shot so far. Updates are shown every 100
photons shot, but at most once a second.

If you don't see photon information in the status bar, either your
photon shooting phase is pathologically fast in its entirety, or
pathologically slow on a per-photon basis.

Post a reply to this message