POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : No Bug But A Suggestion : Re: No Bug But A Suggestion Server Time
25 Apr 2024 19:40:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: No Bug But A Suggestion
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 15 Apr 2018 09:30:00
Message: <web.5ad35384e70a23405cafe28e0@news.povray.org>
"Thorsten Froehlich" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> Given every check for progress reporting takes time, the proper cases would be
> severely penalized by the time taken to check for the mistakes.

I've thought about this for a number of things POV-Ray does, and I'm sure there
must be some way to toggle a flag to enable or disable such a feature for any
number of things POV-Ray does.

Embedding such a check for a flag may consume more or less cycles depending upon
where the check occurs, and would lead to structuring the source any number of
ways.

Having a dual code where one is "newbie friendly" for extensive debugging would
allow the "advanced/expert version" to run quickly without any such trammels.

Less speedy but easier to code/maintain would be to have whole sets of dual
subroutines that can be selected with such a flag.  One slow, but rich in
information and feedback messages, the other optimized for speed.

Sort of the way the quality settings are invoked to do a quick render to make
sure object placement is correct, code in loops is functioning as expected,
etc., and then the highest quality can be set for the final render.

Just an idea for a paradigm to add to the discussion.