POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Right-click menu in Windows Explorer Server Time
29 Mar 2024 00:42:10 EDT (-0400)
  Right-click menu in Windows Explorer (Message 8 to 17 of 17)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Right-click menu in Windows Explorer
Date: 22 Jan 2018 14:11:38
Message: <5a66376a$1@news.povray.org>
I just tried with a fresh copy of POV-Ray 3.62 on Windows 10.

"Keep single instance" is enabled by default after installing POV-Ray.

The very first time you try to open 3 files at once, 2 instances of
POV-Ray are spawned, and two of the instances tell me that "Keep single
instance" is enabled, blah blah blah. After you click the checkbox to
hide this message in the future, the program starts behaving as it
should. E.g. all files are loaded in one instance of POV-Ray.

So, something happened to the editor in recent versions.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

On 1/22/2018 2:11 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> I just tried with a fresh copy of POV-Ray 3.62 on Windows 10.
>
> "Keep single instance" is enabled by default after installing POV-Ray.
>
> The very first time you try to open 3 files at once, 2 instances of
> POV-Ray are spawned, and two of the instances tell me that "Keep single
> instance" is enabled, blah blah blah. After you click the checkbox to
> hide this message in the future, the program starts behaving as it
> should. E.g. all files are loaded in one instance of POV-Ray.
>
> So, something happened to the editor in recent versions.
>

> Mike

I tried 3.62 on my principal Windows 7 machine, and the behavior is kind
of random. It's possible my system is messed up after
installing/reinstalling POV-Ray so many times.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

On 1/22/2018 2:30 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> I tried 3.62 on my principal Windows 7 machine, and the behavior is kind
> of random. It's possible my system is messed up after
> installing/reinstalling POV-Ray so many times.
>

> Mike

Now I can't uninstall/repair POV-Ray 3.62.

"Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified location
exists and is writable."

Sigh.

Post a reply to this message

On 1/22/2018 2:40 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> On 1/22/2018 2:30 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> I tried 3.62 on my principal Windows 7 machine, and the behavior is
>> kind of random. It's possible my system is messed up after
>> installing/reinstalling POV-Ray so many times.
>>

>> Mike
>
> Now I can't uninstall/repair POV-Ray 3.62.
>
> "Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified location
> exists and is writable."
>
> Sigh.

This was easy to fix. Simply restart Explorer in Task Manager.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

> This was easy to fix. Simply restart Explorer in Task Manager.

I've never attempted such a thing on a running system; I thought it would
completely shut down the Windows OS, or something just as bad, leading to...
chaos!  :-O

Post a reply to this message