POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Parse Error Server Time
29 Mar 2024 10:00:55 EDT (-0400)
  Parse Error (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: James Holsenback
Subject: Parse Error
Date: 18 Nov 2013 13:57:32
Message: <528a631c@news.povray.org>
Wanted to see if anyone else could duplicate before I file a bug report
.... I'm getting this parse error:

File '/users/ash/POV-Ray/Includes/3LTable_POV_mat.inc' line 16: Parse Error:
  Expected 'undeclared identifier', macro identifier found instead
Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.
Render failed

After troubleshooting it turns out that:

#declare MetalMaterial = fails and #declare MetalMateria = passes ...
according to docs up to 40 characters allowed ... hmmm that can't be it.
Have I bumped into a reserved declaration????

Post a reply to this message

Am 18.11.2013 19:57, schrieb James Holsenback:
> Wanted to see if anyone else could duplicate before I file a bug report
> ..... I'm getting this parse error:
>
> File '/users/ash/POV-Ray/Includes/3LTable_POV_mat.inc' line 16: Parse
> Error:
>   Expected 'undeclared identifier', macro identifier found instead
> Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.
> Render failed
>
> After troubleshooting it turns out that:
>
> #declare MetalMaterial = fails and #declare MetalMateria = passes ...
> according to docs up to 40 characters allowed ... hmmm that can't be it.
> Have I bumped into a reserved declaration????

As the error message indicates, it seems that somewhere before the
inclusion of that .inc file, your scene - or some other .inc file it
happens to include - has already defined that very same identifier as a
macro.

POV-Ray hates you when you try re-defining macro identifiers as
something else, unless you #undef that macro first.

Post a reply to this message

James Holsenback <nom### [at] nonecom> wrote:
> Wanted to see if anyone else could duplicate before I file a bug report
> .... I'm getting this parse error:
>
> File '/users/ash/POV-Ray/Includes/3LTable_POV_mat.inc' line 16: Parse Error:
>   Expected 'undeclared identifier', macro identifier found instead
> Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.
> Render failed
>
> After troubleshooting it turns out that:
>
> #declare MetalMaterial = fails and #declare MetalMateria = passes ...
> according to docs up to 40 characters allowed ... hmmm that can't be it.
> Have I bumped into a reserved declaration????

Hi Jim,

I just tested the declaration within an other scene having no problems with the
name "MetalMaterial". May be, you can post more of your scene file to
investigate.

Best regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

> Am 18.11.2013 19:57, schrieb James Holsenback:
>> Wanted to see if anyone else could duplicate before I file a bug report
>> ..... I'm getting this parse error:
>>
>> File '/users/ash/POV-Ray/Includes/3LTable_POV_mat.inc' line 16: Parse
>> Error:
>>   Expected 'undeclared identifier', macro identifier found instead
>> Fatal error in parser: Cannot parse input.
>> Render failed
>>
>> After troubleshooting it turns out that:
>>
>> #declare MetalMaterial = fails and #declare MetalMateria = passes ...
>> according to docs up to 40 characters allowed ... hmmm that can't be it.
>> Have I bumped into a reserved declaration????
>
> As the error message indicates, it seems that somewhere before the
> inclusion of that .inc file, your scene - or some other .inc file it
> happens to include - has already defined that very same identifier as a
> macro.
>
> POV-Ray hates you when you try re-defining macro identifiers as
> something else, unless you #undef that macro first.

LOL ... well crap it was in an include file I was calling (but not using
anymore)