POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : First image posting Server Time
14 May 2021 14:49:47 EDT (-0400)
  First image posting (Message 1 to 10 of 24)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Chris R
Subject: First image posting
Date: 29 Apr 2021 15:40:00
Message: <web.608b0b5f4045afb0f117af815cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
I have been playing around with POV-Ray again after a many-year hiatus.  Here is
my first scene using 3.7.

Credits where credit is due:
Sunlight and sky is from LightSys macros.
Tree and bush are from Arbaro
Various ropes are from the POV-Library ropes macros

I use isosurfaces with pigment-pattern perturbation a lot for stone and wood
surfaces.

About the only rendering feature I didn't try out with this was camera blur.

Appreciate any comments or suggestions for future improvements.


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'the_well 1600x1200 aa0.0 r3 radiosity 2021-04-18.png' (3442 KB)

Preview of image 'the_well 1600x1200 aa0.0 r3 radiosity 2021-04-18.png'
the_well 1600x1200 aa0.0 r3 radiosity 2021-04-18.png


 

From: jr
Subject: Re: First image posting
Date: 30 Apr 2021 05:55:00
Message: <web.608bd3d4f7d27fe79819d986cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> I have been playing around with POV-Ray again after a many-year hiatus.  Here is
> my first scene using 3.7.
> ...
> Appreciate any comments or suggestions for future improvements.

pleasant to look at.  the foreground "paraphernalia" suggests a time from before
electricity, so I wonder how the fountain (in "egg") is powered.  also, even
though there are no "people" in view, the dripping water (nice!) would require
the bucket to just have been raised.


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: First image posting
Date: 30 Apr 2021 08:01:18
Message: <608bf18e$1@news.povray.org>
Op 29-4-2021 om 21:39 schreef Chris R:
> I have been playing around with POV-Ray again after a many-year hiatus.  Here is
> my first scene using 3.7.
> 
> Credits where credit is due:
> Sunlight and sky is from LightSys macros.
> Tree and bush are from Arbaro
> Various ropes are from the POV-Library ropes macros
> 
> I use isosurfaces with pigment-pattern perturbation a lot for stone and wood
> surfaces.
> 
> About the only rendering feature I didn't try out with this was camera blur.
> 
> Appreciate any comments or suggestions for future improvements.
> 
Good to have you back!

Maybe just one point of attention for now: The textures and/or features 
modelled from textures, work well at a distance but need more/finer 
detail close to the camera.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: MichaelJF
Subject: Re: First image posting
Date: 30 Apr 2021 13:48:03
Message: <608c42d3$1@news.povray.org>
Am 29.04.2021 um 21:39 schrieb Chris R:
> I have been playing around with POV-Ray again after a many-year hiatus.  Here is
> my first scene using 3.7.
> 
> Credits where credit is due:
> Sunlight and sky is from LightSys macros.
> Tree and bush are from Arbaro
> Various ropes are from the POV-Library ropes macros
> 
> I use isosurfaces with pigment-pattern perturbation a lot for stone and wood
> surfaces.
> 
> About the only rendering feature I didn't try out with this was camera blur.
> 
> Appreciate any comments or suggestions for future improvements.
> Very nice image. But you asked for improvement. The blue textures of the 
shutters are a little bit too blue IMO as are the green textures. And 
the crackle pattern at the well should be exchanged. You can create a 
better well with the blockwall macros (search the POV-Object collection).

Best regards
Michael


Post a reply to this message

From: Chris R
Subject: Re: First image posting
Date: 30 Apr 2021 15:35:00
Message: <web.608c5ac9f7d27fef117af815cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,
>
> "Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> > I have been playing around with POV-Ray again after a many-year hiatus.  Here is
> > my first scene using 3.7.
> > ...
> > Appreciate any comments or suggestions for future improvements.
>
> pleasant to look at.  the foreground "paraphernalia" suggests a time from before
> electricity, so I wonder how the fountain (in "egg") is powered.  also, even
> though there are no "people" in view, the dripping water (nice!) would require
> the bucket to just have been raised.
>
>
> regards, jr.

Thanks for the comments!  This scene is from a vision of the surroundings in a
fantasy RPG I have been playing, so I took some liberties with "magic" powering
things.

I have just started looking at modeling tools for people and animals.  Once I am
comfortable with them, I envisioned having the traveler at the well in the scene
raising the bucket from the well.


Post a reply to this message

From: Chris R
Subject: Re: First image posting
Date: 30 Apr 2021 15:40:00
Message: <web.608c5c3ef7d27fef117af815cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> Op 29-4-2021 om 21:39 schreef Chris R:
> > I have been playing around with POV-Ray again after a many-year hiatus.  Here is
> > my first scene using 3.7.
> >
> > Credits where credit is due:
> > Sunlight and sky is from LightSys macros.
> > Tree and bush are from Arbaro
> > Various ropes are from the POV-Library ropes macros
> >
> > I use isosurfaces with pigment-pattern perturbation a lot for stone and wood
> > surfaces.
> >
> > About the only rendering feature I didn't try out with this was camera blur.
> >
> > Appreciate any comments or suggestions for future improvements.
> >
> Good to have you back!
>
> Maybe just one point of attention for now: The textures and/or features
> modelled from textures, work well at a distance but need more/finer
> detail close to the camera.
>
> --
> Thomas

Thanks for the suggestion.  Surprisingly, while working on the models for this
scene I often found really nice textures that looked good close up, (at least to
me), but looked like a grainy mess from a distance.  I have scene macros that
use camera distance to add or remove details from textures.  I should probably
play around with that some more.


Post a reply to this message

From: Chris R
Subject: Re: First image posting
Date: 30 Apr 2021 15:45:00
Message: <web.608c5d45f7d27fef117af815cc1b6e@news.povray.org>
MichaelJF <fri### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> Am 29.04.2021 um 21:39 schrieb Chris R:
> > I have been playing around with POV-Ray again after a many-year hiatus.  Here is
> > my first scene using 3.7.
> >
> > Credits where credit is due:
> > Sunlight and sky is from LightSys macros.
> > Tree and bush are from Arbaro
> > Various ropes are from the POV-Library ropes macros
> >
> > I use isosurfaces with pigment-pattern perturbation a lot for stone and wood
> > surfaces.
> >
> > About the only rendering feature I didn't try out with this was camera blur.
> >
> > Appreciate any comments or suggestions for future improvements.
> > Very nice image. But you asked for improvement. The blue textures of the
> shutters are a little bit too blue IMO as are the green textures. And
> the crackle pattern at the well should be exchanged. You can create a
> better well with the blockwall macros (search the POV-Object collection).
>
> Best regards
> Michael

Thanks for the comments!  I didn't have any real-world shutters and doors to
model the colors, so it isn't surprising they stick out.  I could revert to my
earlier comments about a fantasy world scene, so the colors are more intense,
but I could certainly see dulling them to make it look more medieval instead.

I am working on a new project with bricks around a lighthouse (cone).  I'll look
into the blockwall macros for that as well.  I have had issues getting access to
the POV-Object collection after the server crash.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: First image posting
Date: 1 May 2021 02:10:58
Message: <608cf0f2$1@news.povray.org>
Op 30/04/2021 om 21:36 schreef Chris R:
> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>> Op 29-4-2021 om 21:39 schreef Chris R:
>>> I have been playing around with POV-Ray again after a many-year hiatus.  Here is
>>> my first scene using 3.7.
>>>
>>> Credits where credit is due:
>>> Sunlight and sky is from LightSys macros.
>>> Tree and bush are from Arbaro
>>> Various ropes are from the POV-Library ropes macros
>>>
>>> I use isosurfaces with pigment-pattern perturbation a lot for stone and wood
>>> surfaces.
>>>
>>> About the only rendering feature I didn't try out with this was camera blur.
>>>
>>> Appreciate any comments or suggestions for future improvements.
>>>
>> Good to have you back!
>>
>> Maybe just one point of attention for now: The textures and/or features
>> modelled from textures, work well at a distance but need more/finer
>> detail close to the camera.
>>
>> --
>> Thomas
> 
> Thanks for the suggestion.  Surprisingly, while working on the models for this
> scene I often found really nice textures that looked good close up, (at least to
> me), but looked like a grainy mess from a distance.  I have scene macros that
> use camera distance to add or remove details from textures.  I should probably
> play around with that some more.
> 
Yes, that is certainly true indeed. Try to find the balance. 
Sometimes/often, stochastic anti-aliasing helps for the grainy distance 
mess.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: First image posting
Date: 1 May 2021 03:40:00
Message: <web.608d053df7d27fe79819d986cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Chris R" <car### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > ...
> Thanks for the comments!  This scene is from a vision of the surroundings in a
> fantasy RPG I have been playing, so I took some liberties with "magic" powering
> things.

:-)

> I have just started looking at modeling tools for people and animals.  Once I am
> comfortable with them, I envisioned having the traveler at the well in the scene
> raising the bucket from the well.

it will be interesting to see the shape this traveller will take.


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: First image posting
Date: 1 May 2021 07:30:00
Message: <web.608d3ac9f7d27fe1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:

> Yes, that is certainly true indeed. Try to find the balance.
> Sometimes/often, stochastic anti-aliasing helps for the grainy distance
> mess.

Presumably, this is what all this "mip-mapping" business is about.   Has anyone
ever tried to emulate that process, that we know of?


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.