POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Uh-oh! I think it's time... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:20:42 EDT (-0400)
  Uh-oh! I think it's time... (Message 1 to 10 of 25)
From: clipka
Subject: Uh-oh! I think it's time...
Date: 31 Dec 2008 23:45:00
Message: <web.495c49605fe797ab30acaf600@news.povray.org>
.... I guess we *ALL* want a new beta *ASAP* now...!

Post a reply to this message

From: SafePit
Subject: Re: Uh-oh! I think it's time...
Date: 1 Jan 2009 04:55:00
Message: <web.495c927fea83a9b9f434b86a0@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> .... I guess we *ALL* want a new beta *ASAP* now...!

Ditto!  Mine stopped completely and won't extend any more.  I "really" don't
want to go back to 3.6 on Vista -- pain in the butt.  So far, I've been able to
work around the minor differences in 3.7.

Post a reply to this message

"SafePit" <ste### [at] reids4funcom> wrote in message
> "clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> .... I guess we *ALL* want a new beta *ASAP* now...!
>
> Ditto!  Mine stopped completely and won't extend any more.  I "really"
> don't
> want to go back to 3.6 on Vista -- pain in the butt.  So far, I've been
> able to
> work around the minor differences in 3.7.

Me too! I just tried 3.6 on Vista and it took over a minute for a render
that took 4 seconds on 3.7 yesterday (which exceeds my attention span by
about 45 seconds :-))

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 1 Jan 2009 08:19:56
Message: <cngpl41c0tq6ue1hknh4vhvn9mvn822str@4ax.com>
On Thu,  1 Jan 2009 04:53:03 EST, "SafePit" <ste### [at] reids4funcom> wrote:

>"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> .... I guess we *ALL* want a new beta *ASAP* now...!
>
>Ditto!  Mine stopped completely and won't extend any more.  I "really" don't
>want to go back to 3.6 on Vista -- pain in the butt.  So far, I've been able to
>work around the minor differences in 3.7.

As above.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 1 Jan 2009 08:35:01
Message: <web.495cc63eea83a9b9180057960@news.povray.org>
"Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
> "SafePit" <ste### [at] reids4funcom> wrote in message
> > "clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> >> .... I guess we *ALL* want a new beta *ASAP* now...!
> >
> > Ditto!  Mine stopped completely and won't extend any more.  I "really"
> > don't
> > want to go back to 3.6 on Vista -- pain in the butt.  So far, I've been
> > able to
> > work around the minor differences in 3.7.
> >
> Me too! I just tried 3.6 on Vista and it took over a minute for a render
> that took 4 seconds on 3.7 yesterday (which exceeds my attention span by
> about 45 seconds :-))

clipka has the source and is working on improvements for radiosity.  I don't
think he meant he couldn't get around with the time limit, instead I'll take it
he finally got to a turning point and is wanting us to test it! :D

Post a reply to this message

From: Random Coder
Date: 1 Jan 2009 15:20:00
Message: <web.495d23e2ea83a9b946e008d40@news.povray.org>
"SafePit" <ste### [at] reids4funcom> wrote:
> "clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > .... I guess we *ALL* want a new beta *ASAP* now...!
>
> Ditto!  Mine stopped completely and won't extend any more.  I "really" don't
> want to go back to 3.6 on Vista -- pain in the butt.  So far, I've been able to
> work around the minor differences in 3.7.

If you don't have the source code around to compile a newer version, then use a
hex editor to search for and change 60EB5B49 to something bigger, like FFFFFF7F
in pvengine.exe.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 2 Jan 2009 00:35:00
Message: <web.495da678ea83a9b95510c690@news.povray.org>
"nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> clipka has the source and is working on improvements for radiosity.  I don't
> think he meant he couldn't get around with the time limit, instead I'll take it
> he finally got to a turning point and is wanting us to test it! :D

Actually... both :)

Radiosity is getting better and better (I'm currently working on splotchy
stripes typically seen on cylinders, with promising results so far), so yes - I
think it's getting time to get it beta-tested :)

But although I personally don't have *any* significant problems getting around
that 2008-12-31 24:00 "self destruct", others probably do.

So it's a good time for a new beta, either way.

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris B
Date: 2 Jan 2009 05:11:31
Message: <495de853@news.povray.org>
"Random Coder" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
> "SafePit" <ste### [at] reids4funcom> wrote:
>> "clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> > .... I guess we *ALL* want a new beta *ASAP* now...!
>>
>> Ditto!  Mine stopped completely and won't extend any more.  I "really"
>> don't
>> want to go back to 3.6 on Vista -- pain in the butt.  So far, I've been
>> able to
>> work around the minor differences in 3.7.
>
> If you don't have the source code around to compile a newer version, then
> use a
> hex editor to search for and change 60EB5B49 to something bigger, like
> FFFFFF7F
> in pvengine.exe.

Thanks, That works for me (on pvengine-sse2.exe in my case).

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Date: 2 Jan 2009 15:08:36
Message: <495e7444@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> .... I guess we *ALL* want a new beta *ASAP* now...!

yup, apologies for the expiry. I'm on it now (on vacation and finally have
time to spend on POV exclusively). expect new beta ASAP, mainly to extend,
then further updates to fix bugs etc.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 2 Jan 2009 15:15:27
Message: <495E7641.3070107@hotmail.com>
On 02-Jan-09 21:08, Chris Cason wrote:
> clipka wrote:
>> .... I guess we *ALL* want a new beta *ASAP* now...!
>
> yup, apologies for the expiry. I'm on it now (on vacation and finally have
> time to spend on POV exclusively). expect new beta ASAP, mainly to extend,
> then further updates to fix bugs etc.

Hi Chris,

we have been missing your input in some of the discussions on radiosity.
Clipka has made some changes to the beta and he wants the group to test
them. You are the main one to decide if these changes can be
incorporated in a regular beta or if there is another way to do it that
is legally safe. From your reply I gather that they won't be in the next
beta, is that correct?