POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : "configure" script broken in beta 29 (unix source package) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:27:50 EDT (-0400)
  "configure" script broken in beta 29 (unix source package) (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: clipka
Subject: "configure" script broken in beta 29 (unix source package)
Date: 22 Dec 2008 13:55:00
Message: <web.494fe25d9d9e24ec569d0e9f0@news.povray.org>
Line 6446 of the "configure" script shipped with the beta 29 is broken; the line
reads:

    ax_compiler_version=`cat conftest.out | 's,.*[[:space:]],,'`

which is obviously nonsense, and should probably read instead:

    ax_compiler_version=`cat conftest.out | sed 's,.*[[:space:]],,'`

This doesn't show when using the standard settings, but gets in the way when
trying to configure for the Intel C++ compiler using the following settings:

../configure --prefix=/foo/bar COMPILED_BY="foobar" CXX=icpc

on a Debian "Etch" 4.0r5 AMD64 Linux using the 11.0 Intel(R)64 version of the
intel compiler.

Don't know whether this is a general autoconf bug though, or POV-Ray specific.

Post a reply to this message

>     ax_compiler_version=`cat conftest.out | sed 's,.*[[:space:]],,'`

  I know nitpicking about "useless use of cat" is rather old, but would
it really hurt if that was written in the "kosher" way, ie:

    ax_compiler_version=`sed 's,.*[[:space:]],,' conftest.out`

  If nothing else, it's more efficient that way.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message