POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma again Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:26:58 EDT (-0400)
  Gamma again (Message 15 to 24 of 24)
From: Daniel Nilsson
Subject: Re: Gamma again
Date: 6 Dec 2008 06:53:22
Message: <493a67b2$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Le_Forgeron wrote:
>>> I'm a strong believer that the combination of graphic cards and display
>>> should provide a gamma of 1.0: linear curve;

That would probably not look good with just 8-bit per color. But I do
agree that would be the best. I don't think it would happen because in
the transition from today's default of 2.2 everything would look ugly.

>> I thought that too, and tried configuring my graphics card that way.
>> Everything looked washed out. Because almost nobody who makes images or
>> chooses website colors or whatever has the gamma set that way.
>
> Yep. Which is because nobody who *views* websites has the gamma set that way.

Most people view with something close to 2.2 I guess.

> Simple as that. There's a de-facto standard out there in real life. It's rather
> vague, but it's definitely *not* 1.0.

The de-facto standard on the web seems to be sRGB with a gamma close to
2.2 (The true gamma is more complicated, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRGB).

Thats what my monitors are tuned to anyway.

--
Daniel Nilsson

Post a reply to this message

> Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> Le_Forgeron wrote:
>> > I'm a strong believer that the combination of graphic cards and display
>> > should provide a gamma of 1.0: linear curve;
>>
>> I thought that too, and tried configuring my graphics card that way.
>> Everything looked washed out. Because almost nobody who makes images or
>> chooses website colors or whatever has the gamma set that way.
>
> Yep. Which is because nobody who *views* websites has the gamma set that
> way.

Correct. Typical catch-22, particularly hard to get out of...

Post a reply to this message