POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : beta 29 not starting on windows? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:25:49 EDT (-0400)
  beta 29 not starting on windows? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: SiGrimshaw
Subject: beta 29 not starting on windows?
Date: 11 Nov 2008 08:10:01
Message: <web.491983959f92b538d99799340@news.povray.org>
Hi,
I'm having trouble getting beta 29 to run on my 32 bit Windows XP machine.  I've
downloaded and installed v3.6, then installed beta 29 into a different folder (I
just accepted all the default folders).  Now when I try and launch the beta from
the desktop shortcut that's created, a pvengine-sse2.exe process is launched,
consumes 50% of the CPU for about three seconds, then exits again with nothing
to show.  The 3.6 version runs fine. I've had a look over the threads here but
I can't see an answer to this issue, unless it's something Chris Carson
mentioned in an off-hand way about a Logitech webcam dll causing interference,
though I've never installed one of those.

I'm at a loss as to what to do!  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both
the 3.6 release and the beta a few times but that hasn't changed anything.  I
need the beta to work because it's required by another piece of software I'm
running (Chemical Computing Group's MOE, http://www.chemcomp.com).

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!
Simon

Post a reply to this message

> Now when I try and launch the beta from the desktop shortcut
> that's created, a pvengine-sse2.exe process is launched,
> consumes 50% of the CPU for about three seconds, then exits again with

What type of processor are you running on?  Does it support SSE2?

> I'm at a loss as to what to do!  I've tried uninstalling and
> reinstalling both
> the 3.6 release and the beta a few times but that hasn't changed
> anything.  I
> need the beta to work because it's required by another piece of
> software I'm
> running (Chemical Computing Group's MOE, http://www.chemcomp.com).

I'm not familiar with their software, but it's odd that it would require
3.7 which is not officially released or supported yet, and not 3.6.

...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message