POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Unable to run Povray 3.7 on WinXP, Dual Athlon MP cpus [Silently exits] Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:25:34 EDT (-0400)
  Unable to run Povray 3.7 on WinXP, Dual Athlon MP cpus [Silently exits] (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: RipClaw
Subject: Unable to run Povray 3.7 on WinXP, Dual Athlon MP cpus [Silently exits]
Date: 24 Feb 2008 04:30:01
Message: <web.47c138ab4de4c13375ffb0220@news.povray.org>
Hi Folks,

I've been trying to run the 3.7 beta on my machine, but I am yet to be
successful.

This is how I tried to install
1> Install 3.6
2> Download 3.7 beta
3> Overwrite 3.6 \bin files with 3.7 beta

Basically, when I double click pvengine.exe, nothing happens!! It does not say
any error message too.

I used the straceNtX to trace what is happening.
This is what I see
IntellectualHeaven (R) System Call Tracer for NT, 2K, XP, 2K3.
Copyright (C) Pankaj Garg. All rights reserved.

Tracing command: ["D:\bin\appz\video\POV-Ray for Windows
v3.6.1.a\bin\pvengine.exe"]
Exception = c0000005, Address = 7c918fea (first-chance!)
Exception = c0000005, Address = 5b006f55 (first-chance!)
Exception = c0000005, Address = 5b006f55 (first-chance!)
Exception = c0000005, Address = 5b006f55 (first-chance!)
Exception = c0000005, Address = 5b006f55 (first-chance!)
...... The same thing a million times ....
\------------------------------------------------------------------/

Povray 3.6.1.a, 3.6.1.c etc work without any problems !!!
The CPUs are dual Athlon MP 2800+  and OS = Windows XP

Am I doing something wrong somewhere or does Povray need dotnet runtime or
something ??

Post a reply to this message

> I've been trying to run the 3.7 beta on my machine, but I am yet to be
> successful.
>
> This is how I tried to install
> 1> Install 3.6
> 2> Download 3.7 beta
> 3> Overwrite 3.6 \bin files with 3.7 beta

Don't overwrite 3.6 files!
Just download the beta files into a folder alongside the 3.6 one. The beta
will automatically look if and where the 3.6 version is residing. just start
one of the beta exe's.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> does Povray need dotnet runtime or something ??

Hell no!

Post a reply to this message