POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Known Bugs 21 Jan 2002 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Known Bugs 21 Jan 2002 (Message 4 to 13 of 13)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Known Bugs 21 Jan 2002
Date: 21 Jan 2002 07:35:35
Message: <3c4c0b17@news.povray.org>
I think that this list should be divided into more subcategories. For
example:

: panoramic projection bug? (job000196)
: (When "angle" keyword within camera statement appears after "panoramic"
: keyword then looks like ignored.)
: http://news.povray.org/avnfut8fof5ualgf8hnrtpl1knlg8828sp@4ax.com

  This could be in an "under work" category. The "bug" does not exist anymore
in the same way as it was reported, but something has been done about it,
although it's not yet a definitive fix (it's a fix which is still under
developement). IMO it's wrong to have this in its original form as it's not
the case anymore.

: non hollow flat disc
: http://news.povray.org/mi9t3uophkvlv9hfah5uv7enn2pamhuvd7@4ax.com

  This is not a bug and thus it's IMO wrongly listed as one. The disc object
was originally designed to work as it does currently, and it works as designed,
and thus it's not buggy.
  Of course another question is whether the current behaviour is the best one,
but that's a discussion about a feature change, not a bug fix.
  I think that some subcategory should be made for this kind of things.

: max_trace_level affects radiosity recursion_limit
: ((beta 10) max_trace_level sets an upper bound on recursion_limit)
: http://news.povray.org/3BE40295.6C3D54DE@engineer.com

  This is another example of something which is most probably not a bug, but
a design decision. It should go under the same category as the previous one
(ie. it's a feature to be changed, not a bug to be fixed).

Date: 21 Jan 2002 07:57:54
Message: <ak3o4uk5ghdhjsghu7sr93iir80u4me8v4@4ax.com>
On 21 Jan 2002 07:35:35 -0500, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> : non hollow flat disc
> : http://news.povray.org/mi9t3uophkvlv9hfah5uv7enn2pamhuvd7@4ax.com
>
>  This is not a bug and thus it's IMO wrongly listed as one. The disc object
> was originally designed to work as it does currently, and it works as designed,
> and thus it's not buggy.
>  Of course another question is whether the current behaviour is the best one,
> but that's a discussion about a feature change, not a bug fix.
>   I think that some subcategory should be made for this kind of things.

At least it is a documentation bug. Documentation says disc is another 'finite'
but considering discussed design it is infinite and it is simple to show it
with:

#include "strings"
#local P=rgb 1;
#local At=-y;
#while(P.gray=1)
  #local P=eval_pigment(pigment{object{disc{0 y 1}color rgb 0 color rgb 1}},At);
  #local At=At-y;
  #debug concat(CRGBStr(P, 0, -1),"\n")
#end

ABX