POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Technical verification build "v3.8.0-beta.666" Server Time
29 Mar 2024 09:56:19 EDT (-0400)
  Technical verification build "v3.8.0-beta.666" (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: clipka
Subject: Technical verification build "v3.8.0-beta.666"
Date: 18 Jun 2021 14:43:41
Message: <60cce95d@news.povray.org>
Hi folks,

we're currently testing our build processes as we're spinning up for the
beta phase of v3.8.0.

If you're feeling particularly bold and daring, feel free to test-drive
this INSTALLER for us:

https://github.com/c-lipka/povray/releases/tag/v3.8.0-pre-beta.666

The software therein will identify as "v3.8.0-beta.666", but it got that
label only for technical reasons, and is really more like a pre-beta,
and as a matter of fact, we don't care much how that version fares per
se: What we're really interested in is the installer.

Some things you might want to test:

- whether the software installs and runs fine on a "virgin" system that
never had any other version of POV-Ray installed;

- whether the software installs and runs fine on a system that already
has one or more other versions of POV-Ray installed, without interfering
with any of them;

- whether the software uninstalls cleanly.

Also, please keep your eyes peeled for any unexpected behavior that
might be related to the installation process.

If you're playing guinea pig on this one, please let us know a bit about
the system you're testing this on, most notably OS version, what other
versions of POV-Ray are installed, and of course your results. Even if
everything works flawlessly, we'd like to hear about it.

Note that the binaries in this installer package are not XP-compatible.
If you still use XP and are keen on seeing continued support for that
platform, please let us know, and we'll try to get back to you with an
XP-enabled version. It's extra effort for us though, so we won't be
doing it unless you let us know that there's still some demand for it.

Have Fun Testing!
Christoph

Post a reply to this message

IIRC the last few installers wouldn't prompt users for admin privileges.
You had to remember to do so manually. I think admin privileges were
required to successfully do the full install.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

> If you're feeling particularly bold and daring, feel free to test-drive
> this INSTALLER for us:
>
> https://github.com/c-lipka/povray/releases/tag/v3.8.0-pre-beta.666
>
> The software therein will identify as "v3.8.0-beta.666", but it got that
> label only for technical reasons, and is really more like a pre-beta,
> and as a matter of fact, we don't care much how that version fares per
> se: What we're really interested in is the installer.

Well, turns out the binaries will not identify as anything - nor
actually _do_ anything at all, for not really well-explained reasons.
Which is a bit disappointing on a couple of levels.

The binaries in the following installer should be a bit better-behaved,
obediently identifying as "v3.8.0-beta.667" - otherwise same deal:

https://github.com/c-lipka/povray/releases/tag/v3.8.0-pre-beta.667

> Have Fun Testing!
> Christoph

Ditto.

Post a reply to this message

Am 18.06.2021 um 22:47 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> IIRC the last few installers wouldn't prompt users for admin privileges.
> You had to remember to do so manually. I think admin privileges were
> required to successfully do the full install.

Please first try without.
> > If you're feeling particularly bold and daring, feel free to test-drive
> > this INSTALLER for us:
 [snip]
> Well, turns out the binaries will not identify as anything - nor
> actually _do_ anything at all, for not really well-explained reasons.
> Which is a bit disappointing on a couple of levels.
>
> The binaries in the following installer should be a bit better-behaved,
> obediently identifying as "v3.8.0-beta.667" - otherwise same deal:
>
> https://github.com/c-lipka/povray/releases/tag/v3.8.0-pre-beta.667

Hi, Christoph! It is great to see you back on the newsgroups; you have been
missed indeed. I did read your initial/'new'  post from May 2021-- but only last
night! :-0  Welcome back!

I've been away from the newsgroups and POV-Ray for several months myself; 'real
life' got in the way, as it usually does.

ANYWAY...

I'm running Windows 10 Pro, pre-installed on my new Lenovo desktop computer (8
cores/16 threads). Windows 10.0.19041 (build 19041)

I just tried installing the 667 beta. It appears to load all of its appropriate
files into its own folders in the the correct places, both  in "Documents" and
in C:Program Files\POV-ray\  Unfortunately, although the program does start
successfully, it doesn't actually do anything. (The only thing that works is the
main HELP file.)

There seems to be a problem with the separately-downloaded  'editor' component.
At least, the beta  seems to need that, and an info box comes up asking for it
to be downloaded before the beta will start. And curiously, as soon as I clicked
the 'yes' box there to go to the 'editor'  webpage, the beta automatically
started up! Odd but interesting.

The problem *seems* to be that the beta's main installer is directing us to a
webpage with the wrong 'editor' executable-- for 3.7 rather than 3.8.  The URL
of that webpage looks to be correct:

www.povray.org/download/wineditdll/3.8.0-beta.667

.... but the only editor available there is for "version 3.7.0.0 (released 6
November 2013)"

I tried installing that one anyway, but I think  it attempted to load its DLL's
into my 3.7.0 folder (however,  its own install process said the DLL files were
'skipped', so I don't think they were installed, and didn't over-write what may
have already been in my 3.7 folders.)

So at this point, it looks like the 667 beta *installed* OK, but there's no
'editor' to make it work. (BTW, I ran into the same problem earlier this year,
when trying to download and run v3.7.1 beta 9 again; the separate editor
component didn't work this time, strangely. But maybe that's off-topic here.)

Also, for what it's worth, the 667 beta installation does not seem to mess with
my v3.7.0 version; I just fired it up (actually running one of the piggybacked
3.8xx experimental versions with it), and all seems well; no problems that I've
noticed so far.

I have not yet tried to UN-install the 667 beta; I thought I would wait to see
if the 'proper' editor download is available and hiding somewhere...  ;-)

Post a reply to this message

> I just tried installing the 667 beta. It appears to load all of its appropriate
> files into its own folders in the the correct places, both  in "Documents" and
> in C:Program Files\POV-ray\  Unfortunately, although the program does start
> successfully, it doesn't actually do anything. (The only thing that works is the
> main HELP file.)
> [...]

TL;DR: You can't create or edit any scene with POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta.667.

I presume everything else works fine though - e.g. you can render an
existing scene using "Render / Select File and Render" (if that's not
the case, let me know).

Well, that's way better than beta-666 then, which _genuinely_ didn't
"actually do anything". It's just perfectly normal behavior for a
POV-Ray installation without the editor component.

Which we still need to re-build to work nicely with the v3.8.0 betas.

> Also, for what it's worth, the 667 beta installation does not seem to mess with
> my v3.7.0 version; I just fired it up (actually running one of the piggybacked
> 3.8xx experimental versions with it), and all seems well; no problems that I've
> noticed so far.

It's more the tiny things that we'd be looking for; most notably, when
you change settings in the v3.8.0-beta, then close it and open v3.7
instead, the settings of the latter should be entirely unaffected - and
vice versa.

> I have not yet tried to UN-install the 667 beta; I thought I would wait to see
> if the 'proper' editor download is available and hiding somewhere...  ;-)

Not yet. And when it is, we'll probably have a proper beta.1 ready, and
would strongly recommend uninstalling that beyond-devilish beta.667
first before installing the beta.1

Post a reply to this message