POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Technical verification build "v3.8.0-beta.666" : Re: Technical verification build "v3.8.0-beta.667" Server Time
25 Apr 2024 15:46:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Technical verification build "v3.8.0-beta.667"
From: clipka
Date: 24 Jun 2021 06:13:12
Message: <60d45ab8$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.06.2021 um 11:00 schrieb Kenneth:
> I just tried installing the 667 beta. It appears to load all of its appropriate
> files into its own folders in the the correct places, both  in "Documents" and
> in C:Program Files\POV-ray\  Unfortunately, although the program does start
> successfully, it doesn't actually do anything. (The only thing that works is the
> main HELP file.)
> [...]

TL;DR: You can't create or edit any scene with POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta.667.

I presume everything else works fine though - e.g. you can render an
existing scene using "Render / Select File and Render" (if that's not
the case, let me know).

Well, that's way better than beta-666 then, which _genuinely_ didn't
"actually do anything". It's just perfectly normal behavior for a
POV-Ray installation without the editor component.

Which we still need to re-build to work nicely with the v3.8.0 betas.

> Also, for what it's worth, the 667 beta installation does not seem to mess with
> my v3.7.0 version; I just fired it up (actually running one of the piggybacked
> 3.8xx experimental versions with it), and all seems well; no problems that I've
> noticed so far.

It's more the tiny things that we'd be looking for; most notably, when
you change settings in the v3.8.0-beta, then close it and open v3.7
instead, the settings of the latter should be entirely unaffected - and
vice versa.

> I have not yet tried to UN-install the 667 beta; I thought I would wait to see
> if the 'proper' editor download is available and hiding somewhere...  ;-)

Not yet. And when it is, we'll probably have a proper beta.1 ready, and
would strongly recommend uninstalling that beyond-devilish beta.667
first before installing the beta.1