POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Windows console anecdotal slowness Server Time
28 Mar 2024 18:07:08 EDT (-0400)
  Windows console anecdotal slowness (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: dick balaska
Subject: Windows console anecdotal slowness
Date: 6 Feb 2017 19:50:18
Message: <589919ca$1@news.povray.org>
I upgraded my renderfarm from 3.7.1-alpha to 3.7.1-beta.3
and I'm seeing some odd rendertimes.

( http://www.buckosoft.com/bsac/meta/
click on the "Servers" tab)

Often, my 8-thread windows i7 runs almost twice as fast as my 4-core
Linux i5.  Minimally, it is about 20% faster.  (The Total FPH column)

But with this build, I'm seeing an extreme slowdown with the Windows
console version.  It is running at half the speed of my i5!. (The Cur
FPH column).

These numbers can only be viewed as relative to each other.
Also interestingly, my Ubuntu 16 box is "faster" than its average while
my other 3 Ubuntu 14 boxes are "slower" than their average.  I would
expect them to all weight the same against their average.

After this job is done (adding BorderChars to the credits of my
animation) I will go back and run some timed tests on the different
versions.

The Windows box *is* running flat out, pegging my CPU, with
povconsole64.exe averaging 95.96% of total CPU time of my system.
(Watching the Super Bowl ate some CPU ;) )

--
dik

Post a reply to this message