POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity performance: thread count anomaly Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:22:29 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity performance: thread count anomaly (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: clipka
Subject: Radiosity performance: thread count anomaly
Date: 19 Jan 2009 07:50:00
Message: <web.497475dd467b0290b2c85f720@news.povray.org>
Something *REALLY* weird is going on with the beta.30-rad1. Look at these
performance measurements (done with Linux "time" command - I find the builtin
timing stats a bit off). The scene was the "rad-def-test.pov" sample scene,
modified to use the "2Bounce" settings from "rad_def.inc".

Timings are in seconds; "real" is wall clock time; "user" and "sys" is CPU time
spent in user and kernel mode, respectively; version used was actually not
exactly beta.30-rad1 but a slightly modified one, but I guess we see the same
effect:

beta.29 on 4 cores (just for reference):

real 7.00
user 25.71
sys 0.03

beta.30-rad1 on 4 cores:

real 53.99
user 195.49
sys 0.11

beta.30-rad1 throttled to use 1 core only:

real 292.78
user 292.48
sys 0.03

Uh - so running on 4 cores, the beta.30-rad1 is not just faster, but actually
MORE EFFICIENT than running on a single core...?!? I guess that would qualify
for a nobel prize in informatics (if there was such a thing)...

I actually made the effort of cross-checking with a classic (analog) wristwatch
to make sure the "time" command isn't broken, but I got similar wall-clock
values, and CPU time look very much plausible.

Some more values:

+WT real   user    sys
1   292.78 292.48  0.03
2   93.00  184.70  0.21
3   82.16  239.41  0.08
4   53.99  195.49  0.11
5   57.66  209.04  0.11
6   54.81  200.58  0.17

Interestingly enough, there seems to be no clear correlation between number of
threads and efficiency - but for some reasons particularly inefficient
operation seems to correlate with particularly few time spent in kernel mode.

Initially I observed the effect while I had four separate 1-threaded instances
of POV working on different scenes in parallel. However, the effect shows
independent of total CPU workload.

Something's utterly wrong; I even thought whether I might have messed up
parameter order on some function call, causing the thread count (or thread
number) to drive some quality parameter... but then again the stats - number of
rays shot, samples gathered and what-have-you - stay pretty much the same
(except for the execution time of course), varying by less than 1% margin. Only
the distribution of radiosity samples per pretrace step vary by anything more,
but even there we have less than 10% deviation.

Someone with *any* idea what might go wrong here? (Even the weirdest ideas
welcome, as they might happen to trigger some inspiration.)

Post a reply to this message

> Something *REALLY* weird is going on with the beta.30-rad1. Look at these
> performance measurements (done with Linux "time" command - I find the builtin
> timing stats a bit off). The scene was the "rad-def-test.pov" sample scene,
> modified to use the "2Bounce" settings from "rad_def.inc".
>
> Timings are in seconds; "real" is wall clock time; "user" and "sys" is CPU time
> spent in user and kernel mode, respectively; version used was actually not
> exactly beta.30-rad1 but a slightly modified one, but I guess we see the same
> effect:
>

> beta.29 on 4 cores (just for reference):
>
> real 7.00
> user 25.71
> sys 0.03
>

> beta.30-rad1 on 4 cores:
>
> real 53.99
> user 195.49
> sys 0.11
>

> beta.30-rad1 throttled to use 1 core only:
>
> real 292.78
> user 292.48
> sys 0.03
>

> Uh - so running on 4 cores, the beta.30-rad1 is not just faster, but actually
> MORE EFFICIENT than running on a single core...?!? I guess that would qualify
> for a nobel prize in informatics (if there was such a thing)...

Forgive my stupid ignorance, but shouldn't it be expected that usage of
more cores to handle more threads separately and truly running in
parallel would lead naturally to such boost in performance?  Isn't that
what all this multicore hype is all about?

Post a reply to this message