POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Quick summary for Linux-Beta 28, September 2008 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:25:20 EDT (-0400)
  Quick summary for Linux-Beta 28, September 2008 (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Quick summary for Linux-Beta 28, September 2008
Date: 17 Sep 2008 16:00:03
Message: <48d161c3@news.povray.org>
Hi, just my small contribution (nothing official, I'm a poor lone some
cowboy...)

So far here are the blocking bugs which should, IMHO, be solved before
any official definitive release, at least for source on linux/unix:

(Smellenbergh, 16th August)
1. isosurface contained by a sphere, with bounding box activated

 - Looks like a coincidence surface when rendered (noisy filling, half-
transparent)
 - No Problem when bounding box (MB) are not used

(geep999, 24th August)
2. Segfault on scenes/portfolio/m_textures.ini

 - Was not buggy in beta-25b (for normal default Q rendering)
 - happen for Q0, Q1, Q6 to Q11 (but not Q2 to Q5)
 - For the arcanists, removing only changeset 4608 (trace.cpp & trace.h
only, related to the caching of colours for lightsources, IIRC...) does
restore a fine render for Q6 to Q11 (at a big price... back to more
raycastings)

 - Q0 & Q1: duma report an issue in trace.cpp, at

filCol[pRED]   *= min(1.0, 1.0 - listWNRX->back().reflec[pRED]);

around line 903, with Trace::ComputeLightedTexture starting at 676.
(your source might vary)

I guess there is no such reflec at Q0 & 1, right ?

Special bonus during investigation with duma (NEW! well, sort of):
3. There is something really fishy with the X display window
 (already purported by me (Le Forgeron) 5th March, well I hope that the
one)

 - To be able to use duma with m_textures.ini, -D must be used or a crash
is generated for disp_sdl.cpp:573
( pov_frontend::UnixSDLDisplay::UpdateScreen ) everytime.
 - without duma, I guess that the random bug is triggered by some access
to a random value/pointer... lucky time, all ends well/ bad time, you're
stuck)

P.S.: geep999, you spoiled me with duma !-)

Post a reply to this message

>  - To be able to use duma with m_textures.ini, -D must be used or a crash
> is generated for disp_sdl.cpp:573

	As a quick test, could you try wrapping this line with a pair of
SDL_LockSurface(m_screen) / SDL_UnlockSurface(m_screen) commands?

	Thanks,
	- NC

Post a reply to this message

Nicolas Calimet <pov### [at] freefr> wrote:
> >  - To be able to use duma with m_textures.ini, -D must be used or a crash
> > is generated for disp_sdl.cpp:573
>
>  As a quick test, could you try wrapping this line with a pair of
> SDL_LockSurface(m_screen) / SDL_UnlockSurface(m_screen) commands?
>
>  Thanks,
>  - NC

Would be an excellent knick-knack (?) (in italian: soprammobile).
Tasty.

Antialias?

Post a reply to this message

> Would be an excellent knick-knack (?) (in italian: soprammobile).
> Tasty.
>
> Antialias?

I wrong. I do not know how I did. I wanted to respond to another message.

Excuse me.

Post a reply to this message