POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : crackle artifacts Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:22:46 EDT (-0400)
  crackle artifacts (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Tim Attwood
Subject: crackle artifacts
Date: 11 Oct 2008 22:00:31
Message: <48f15a3f@news.povray.org>
There's some large square artifacts using the crackle pattern
in beta 29. It seems to disapear at some scales...

camera {
   location  <0.0, 0.5, -4.0>
   direction 1.5*z
   right     x*image_width/image_height
   look_at   <0.0, 0.0,  0.0>
}

light_source {
  <-30, 30, -30>
  color rgb <1, 1, 1>
}

sphere {
 0,1
 pigment{
    crackle
    scale 0.1
 }
}

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Subject: Re: crackle artifacts
Date: 12 Oct 2008 18:15:36
Message: <48f27708@news.povray.org>
Tim Attwood wrote:
> There's some large square artifacts using the crackle pattern
> in beta 29. It seems to disapear at some scales...

was this in beta 28? I applied a work-around to a crackle issue in beta 29 which
involves reverting to our old crackle cache seed generator. if this is not
behaving as expected, some areas could be mistakenly retrieved from the cache
when they should be re-calculated.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

"Chris Cason" <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote in
message news:48f27708@news.povray.org...
> Tim Attwood wrote:
>> There's some large square artifacts using the crackle pattern
>> in beta 29. It seems to disapear at some scales...
>
> was this in beta 28? I applied a work-around to a crackle issue in beta 29
> which
> involves reverting to our old crackle cache seed generator. if this is not
> behaving as expected, some areas could be mistakenly retrieved from the
> cache
> when they should be re-calculated.

In 29...
Version 3.7.0.beta.29.msvc8.win32 with XP.

Post a reply to this message

> Version 3.7.0.beta.29.msvc8.win32 with XP.

I was just asking if the artifacts are also visible in 28.

I'll check it myself when I get home, can't do it from here.

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

> > There's some large square artifacts using the crackle pattern
> > in beta 29. It seems to disapear at some scales...
>
> was this in beta 28? I applied a work-around to a crackle issue in beta 29 which
> involves reverting to our old crackle cache seed generator. if this is not
> behaving as expected, some areas could be mistakenly retrieved from the cache
> when they should be re-calculated.
>
> -- Chris

Beta 28 is OK, no artifacts.

Regards