POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Error Report: Memory Message Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:31:31 EDT (-0400)
  Error Report: Memory Message (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Sven Littkowski
Subject: Error Report: Memory Message
Date: 6 May 2006 23:09:04
Message: <445d64d0$1@news.povray.org>
Greetings.

I modified the Quickres.ini in a way that it features now some more
resolutions without and with AA. One of the added resolutions is 6400x4800.

- I parsed a scene and had the beta version 12a rendering this scene which
worked pretty well.

- Then I wanted to re-render with the same resolution which caused an "not
enough memory" error message.

- I selected a smaller resolution, rendered, re-selected that previous big
resolution and was now able again to render.

This makes me thinking that there is, maybe, a small programming error which
only frees up the memory when the resolution is being changed, am I right?
On my system, that error occured only with re-using that big resolution.

My OS is Windows XP Media Edition, Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.06 GH, 1.25 GB RAM.

Greetings,

Sven

Post a reply to this message

> I modified the Quickres.ini in a way that it features now some more
> resolutions without and with AA. One of the added resolutions is 6400x4800.
>
> - I parsed a scene and had the beta version 12a rendering this scene which
> worked pretty well.
>
> - Then I wanted to re-render with the same resolution which caused an "not
> enough memory" error message.
>
> - I selected a smaller resolution, rendered, re-selected that previous big
> resolution and was now able again to render.
>
> This makes me thinking that there is, maybe, a small programming error which
> only frees up the memory when the resolution is being changed, am I right?
> On my system, that error occured only with re-using that big resolution.
>
> My OS is Windows XP Media Edition, Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.06 GH, 1.25 GB RAM.

Did you have display preview turned on ?

I can confirm that I cache the previous bitmap so that POVWIN doesn't need to
re-allocate the memory if the render resolution does not change; and it does
appear this is overlapped with the destruction of the old one. I'll have to
look closer as to how I could fix this (the data in question is held via a
shared pointer and as such it's not possible for me to just delete it in-
place; I have to chase down where it is normally released).

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

yes, each time I render, that preview is on. At least, for the first
minutes.

Another problem I saw is that error messages seems to be truncated (bottom
of the window).

Sven

"Chris Cason" <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:445e501e@news.povray.org...