POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : "Failed to start render: bad allocation"? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:17:34 EDT (-0400)
  "Failed to start render: bad allocation"? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Lance Birch
Subject: "Failed to start render: bad allocation"?
Date: 8 Jul 2005 01:20:22
Message: <42ce0d16@news.povray.org>
I've been trying to render a large image with the new beta and when I attempt to
do so I receive the error "Failed to start render: bad allocation".  The image
is slightly more than 16000 pixels wide and I'm using +FT and Display=Off.  It
will also crash at random upon clicking Run to start the render (I can't seem to
find a pattern to this yet - it also occasionally crashes when closing POV-Ray).
It doesn't seem to have a problem with smaller images but I haven't specifically
tried to nail down at what resolution this starts happening (though if it'll
help I'll run some tests to find out the exact resolution that causes the
problem).

I just tried it with 3.6 and it doesn't seem to have a problem starting the
render.

I'd really like to use the beta because it's going to almost halve the rendering
time for this particular image :)

Lance.

thezone - thezone.firewave.com.au

Post a reply to this message

> I've been trying to render a large image with the new beta and when I
> attempt to
> do so I receive the error "Failed to start render: bad allocation".  The
> image
> is slightly more than 16000 pixels wide and I'm using +FT and Display=Off.
> It
> will also crash at random upon clicking Run to start the render (I can't
> seem to
> find a pattern to this yet - it also occasionally crashes when closing
> POV-Ray).
> It doesn't seem to have a problem with smaller images but I haven't
> specifically
> tried to nail down at what resolution this starts happening (though if
> it'll
> help I'll run some tests to find out the exact resolution that causes the
> problem).
>
> I just tried it with 3.6 and it doesn't seem to have a problem starting
> the
> render.
>
> I'd really like to use the beta because it's going to almost halve the
> rendering
> time for this particular image :)
>
> Lance.

Same problem here!
Seems to be appear by images larger then 10000 pixels width.
Tested with v3.7 beta8  pvengine.exe and pvengine-sse2.exe

Post a reply to this message