POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : sphere_sweep and cubic_spline Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:32:03 EDT (-0400)
  sphere_sweep and cubic_spline (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Richard
Subject: sphere_sweep and cubic_spline
Date: 10 Jun 2002 15:29:37
Message: <3d04fe21$1@news.povray.org>
Pov 3.5 RC6 on Intel 1.7Ghz 512M Ram running Windows 2000

I read in the help that "cubic splines produce the most flexible and smooth
curves" but this does not seem to be the case with sphere sweep. The
linear:spline and b_spline work as advertised but the cubic-spline seems to
curl in on itself and produce a sharp step. This code illustrates this. Is
it supposed to do this?

//pov 3.5 RC6
global_settings { assumed_gamma 1.1 }

#include "stdinc.inc"

  background { color Blue }
  camera {
    location <0, 2, -10>
    look_at  <0, 0,  0>
  }

light_source { <0, 2, -10> colour White }

  sphere_sweep {
    //linear_spline
    //b_spline
    cubic_spline