POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : sphere_sweep and cubic_spline : Re: sphere_sweep and cubic_spline Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere_sweep and cubic_spline
Date: 11 Jun 2002 03:19:34
Message: <9a8bguo643ubbncriskpc1a9pumoqtn6pe@4ax.com>
On Mon, 10 Jun 2002 21:29:52 +0200, "Richard" <pop### [at] iprolinkch> wrote:
> I read in the help that "cubic splines produce the most flexible and smooth
> curves" but this does not seem to be the case with sphere sweep. The
> linear:spline and b_spline work as advertised but the cubic-spline seems to
> curl in on itself and produce a sharp step. This code illustrates this. Is
> it supposed to do this?

Personally I think that's your mistake. Whole sphere_sweep object is NOT
spline. It is object which controls its parameters with splines. The path
where centers of spheres are placed is spline. The radius function in 'time'
is spline. If the max radius is 'bigger' than curvature/run of center spline
then smaller radii with theirs centers are completly hidden inside big radius.
Moreover You took quoted sentence from 'lathe' chapter not from sphere_sweep
one. Lathe is not sphere_sweep either. I hope my answer was understable since
my English limits such explanations.

ABX