POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Memory limit in 3.5 ? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:29:43 EDT (-0400)
  Memory limit in 3.5 ? (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: Gilles ADAM
Subject: Memory limit in 3.5 ?
Date: 27 Feb 2002 10:01:20
Message: <3C7CF4BB.206760DA@obs.univ-lyon1.fr>
Hello...

In 3.5beta (february release), I have a memory allocation "problem".
I try to render an animation of Mars, using the very high
NASA resolution map
(maps.jpl.nasa.gov) of the planet's surface. It is a huge JPEG,
corresponding to
a 800 Mo uncompressed image.
I use a 1.3GHz T-Bird, with 768 Mo RAM, several (4-5) Go swap space, and
Win Me.
I can work on the image under Corel PhotoPaint, for instance, even to
build the
image, which means opening three RGB gray-level images and the final
merged
color image. No problem (except that it goes quite slow, swap of course
...).
Pov Ray tell me : unable to allocate 1 590 000 000 bytes.
Why ? The regular compile is not able to use swap space ?
Maybe a well-known fact : I am definitely not an expert in mallocs...
Thanks !

Gilles