POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Memory limit in 3.5 ? : Re: Memory limit in 3.5 ? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:33:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Memory limit in 3.5 ?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 27 Feb 2002 14:41:33
Message: <3c7d366d@news.povray.org>
In article <3C7D2FF2.F2522864@obs.univ-lyon1.fr> , Gilles ADAM
<ga### [at] obsuniv-lyon1fr>  wrote:

> #declare Planete = sphere { 0, rter
>                             pigment {image_map {tiff
> "d:\temp\mars_thr50.tif"   // 11520x5760x24, OK
>                             // pigment {image_map {tiff
> "d:\temp\mars_vhr.tif"     //  23040x11520x24,
>
> // unsufficient memory

First of all, you should really use Targa (or PNG) as format because for TIFF
images POV-Ray right now will always allocate a transmit channel.  So with
that alone, your big image requires one GB, not including whatever the TIFF or
JPEG libraries may be allocating to decompress the image.

Further, if you are using such a high resolution, may I assume you are also
trying to render an image with a size that will actually benefit from an input
image of this size?  If so, you also have to add memory for the output image
and so on and so on.

If you want to avoid the problem, your only solution is to get (access to) a
64 bit system, that is any current Compaq Alpha, IBM Power, Sun Sparc, SGI
Mips or HP PA-RISC system and then recompile POV-Ray 3.1g for one of those (or
compatible systems).  Of course you can also wait for a final release of
POV-Ray 3.5 and compile its source code, but either way, a 32-bit processor is
simply not up to the data size you want to handle :-(

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde