POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Linux Beta 9 now available Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:30:40 EDT (-0400)
  Linux Beta 9 now available (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Mark Gordon
Subject: Linux Beta 9 now available
Date: 10 Jan 2002 08:28:30
Message: <3c3d96fe@news.povray.org>
Just in time to expire in a few days, but I should have an update available
concurrent with other platforms.

This is a fairly traditional povlinux.tgz, but with HTML docs in the
package.  The binary itself (just one, supports both X and SVGAlib,
uses whichever makes most sense) is statically linked so as to avoid
dependency issues (since you can't currently build against your own
installed libraries).  Built on Red Hat 7.2, in case it matters.

Future versions will involve a whole stack of RPM's and (at some
point) .deb packages, but I'm not going to bother with this one given that
it's due to expire so soon.  They'll be built with an prefix of /usr, but this
one is built with a prefix  of /usr/local, though, so as not to conflict with
anything you have in package management.   Keep a mind to your
$PATH if you end up with multiple versions installed in different prefixes
at some point.

Download from:

ftp://ftp.povray.org/pub/povray/Official/Linux/3.5beta/povlinux.tgz

It's a gzipped tarball.  Linux users (with GNU tar, one can assume) can
uncompress it with tar xvfz povlinux.tgz, then cd povray35 and run
./install as root.  This moves the contents of the directory, so
if you cd .. you won't find the directory where it used to be.  Don't be
too badly surprised at this.

There are some references to this being version 3.4.9, which is what
the later beta packages will be so as to allow for smooth upgrade to
3.5 once the beta period is over.

Please report any problems to this group.

-Mark Gordon

Post a reply to this message