POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : crash with some boxes /infinite boxes Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:18:20 EDT (-0400)
  crash with some boxes /infinite boxes (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: KalleK
Subject: crash with some boxes /infinite boxes
Date: 5 Jan 2002 15:09:06
Message: <3c375d62$1@news.povray.org>
Hi!

I'm a bit puzzled by this one:
If you render the scene below, win98 gives me the typical crash-dialog (this
application will be closed ...). In fact, povray is still running (creating
boundingslabs) and reacts (you can use the editor...
Furthermore it sais:
"Scene contains 299 frame level objects; 44 infinite"
"Reallocing Finite to 765"
I don't have infinite objects, just boxes. And I don't know what the second
sentence means.

If you uncomment the second #declaration of Alpha, povray runs, but the
shadows are missing/wrong, and I got strange messages as well:
"Scene contains 299 frame level objects; 43 infinite."
"Reallocing Finite to 768"

Uncommenting the third #declaration you get what I expected.
Still 44 infinite., but no "Reallocing"

If you change Depth you get different results. I got the Alphas with trial
and error.

This only happens with the intel-compile! the msvc one is working
fine.(still, there are the infinite objects but the results are as expacted)

AMD 1.4GHz, Ram:512MB DDR, OS: Win98

--
///begin
#declare Depth = 300;

#local Fak = cos(radians(Alpha))+sin(radians(Alpha));
object {
 #local G = 1;
 #local D = 2;

 #local Translater = 0;
 #local Rotater =0;
 union {
  #while (D<=Depth)
   box {-<G/2, -G/2, -G/2>
         <G/2, -G/2, -G/2>
    rotate y*Rotater
    translate -y*Translater
   }
   #local Translater = Translater + G/2;
   #local G = G * Fak;
   #local Translater = Translater + G/2;
   #local Rotater = Rotater + Alpha;
   #local D = D + 1;
  #end
 }
 pigment {color rgb 1}
}

camera {
 location <0,5,0>
 look_at 0
}

light_source {
 <0,1,-1>*20
 color 1
}
///end

Post a reply to this message

>If you render the scene below, win98 gives me the typical crash-dialog (this
>application will be closed ...). In fact, povray is still running (creating
>boundingslabs) and reacts (you can use the editor...
>Furthermore it sais:
>"Scene contains 299 frame level objects; 44 infinite"
>"Reallocing Finite to 765"
>I don't have infinite objects, just boxes. And I don't know what the second
>sentence means.

I confirm all this, but note:-

The editor is still running when the renderer has crashed, but it
doesn't receive any status updates from the dead renderer, so it has no
way of knowing that the renderer isn't still creating bounding slabs.
This always happens when the renderer crashes.

I notice that POV considers an unrotated box to be "infinite" if it is
larger than 2714 pov-units. E.g.
     #local G = 2715;
     box {-G/2,G/2}
Is counted as an infinite object.

Thus, if you comment out the "rotate y*Rotater" line from KalleK's
scene, you get
     Scene contains 299 frame level objects; 274 infinite.
since all the boxes larger than 2714 are counted as infinite.

Now, 230 of these boxes are *not* considered infinite. This seems to be
related to the rotation. E.g. the largest box is
   #local G = 17791297395961415000000000000000000000000000;
   #local Rotater = 10728;
   box {-G/2,G/2 rotate y*Rotater}
Is not counted as infinite

A simpler scene, directly using the calculated values from KalleK's
scene, that exhibits the crash. (With only 10 boxes there's no crash)

#local G = 17791297395961415000000000000000000000000000;
#local Rotater = 10728;

box {-G/2,G/2 rotate y*Rotater}
box {-G/2,G/2 rotate y*Rotater}
box {-G/2,G/2 rotate y*Rotater}