POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Headers in crater.pov and crater_dat.pov Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:25:10 EDT (-0400)
  Headers in crater.pov and crater_dat.pov (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Rune
Subject: Headers in crater.pov and crater_dat.pov
Date: 11 Nov 2001 07:37:27
Message: <3bee7107@news.povray.org>
I've tried to make some user-friendly and instructive headers for crater.pov
and crater_dat.pov, but I'm no expert in file formats so I'd appreciate if
people who knows more about it than me would check if it's all correct and
if maybe it could be worded better.

Header comments in crater.pov:
// Persistence Of Vision raytracer version 3.5 sample file.
// CRATER.POV
// Render CRATER_DAT.POV to create the height_field image that
// is needed in CRATER.POV (this file). Then render this file.
//
// ( When CRATER.POV is rendered, the output image type must be
// the same as when CRATER_DAT.POV was rendered. That is how it
// works when no image type is specified in the height_field.
// Alternatively you can specify the image type of the
// height_field object in line 23 in CRATER.POV. See the
// documentation for details. )

Header comments in crater_dat.pov:
// Persistence Of Vision raytracer version 3.5 sample file.
// CRATER_DAT.POV
// Render CRATER_DAT.POV (this file) to create the height_field
// image that is needed in CRATER.POV. Then render CRATER.POV.
//
// ( You can use any output image type, but the quality will be
// best with the special 16-bit gray output that is supported
// by the PNG, TGA and PPM image types. See the documentation
// for details. )

Rune

Post a reply to this message

"Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote in message
> I've tried to make some user-friendly and instructive headers for crater.pov
> and crater_dat.pov, but I'm no expert in file formats so I'd appreciate if
> people who knows more about it than me would check if it's all correct and
> if maybe it could be worded better.

As far as I can tell it appears to be well worded, and I believe it is correct
technically.

Michael

Post a reply to this message

> I've tried to make some user-friendly and instructive headers for crater.pov
> and crater_dat.pov, but I'm no expert in file formats so I'd appreciate if
> people who knows more about it than me would check if it's all correct and
> if maybe it could be worded better.

It seems good.

> Header comments in crater.pov:
> // Persistence Of Vision raytracer version 3.5 sample file.
> // CRATER.POV
> // Render CRATER_DAT.POV to create the height_field image that
> // is needed in CRATER.POV (this file). Then render this file.
> //
> // ( When CRATER.POV is rendered, the output image type must be
> // the same as when CRATER_DAT.POV was rendered. That is how it
> // works when no image type is specified in the height_field.
> // Alternatively you can specify the image type of the
> // height_field object in line 23 in CRATER.POV. See the
> // documentation for details. )
>
> Header comments in crater_dat.pov:
> // Persistence Of Vision raytracer version 3.5 sample file.
> // CRATER_DAT.POV
> // Render CRATER_DAT.POV (this file) to create the height_field
> // image that is needed in CRATER.POV. Then render CRATER.POV.
> //
> // ( You can use any output image type, but the quality will be
> // best with the special 16-bit gray output that is supported
> // by the PNG, TGA and PPM image types. See the documentation
> // for details. )

Perhaps indicate here the command line switches and ini settings
that allow such formats?

--
Adrien Beau   adr### [at] freefr   http://adrien.beau.free.fr/

Post a reply to this message

> Perhaps indicate here the command line switches
> and ini settings that allow such formats?

Well, this is where my knowledge doesn't suffice.

For example, to get 16 bit grayscale png I'm not sure if one has to use
+fn16 or if just +fn is enough when hf_gray_16 is specified in the
global_settings.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Nov 5)