POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Headers in crater.pov and crater_dat.pov : Re: Headers in crater.pov and crater_dat.pov Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Headers in crater.pov and crater_dat.pov
From: Bob H
Date: 12 Nov 2001 13:54:36
Message: <3bf01aec@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <run### [at] mobilixnetdk> wrote in message
> "Adrien Beau" wrote:
> > Perhaps indicate here the command line switches
> > and ini settings that allow such formats?
>
> Well, this is where my knowledge doesn't suffice.
>
> For example, to get 16 bit grayscale png I'm not sure if one has to use
> +fn16 or if just +fn is enough when hf_gray_16 is specified in the
> global_settings.

I think the confusion is because of the 16 bit hf_gray_16 being in reality a
24 bit image.  I never understood if the PNG output was done in a different
way from the TGA, where it might also only use 16 bits of the whole.  When I
check for colors used I see something like a 256 color image instead, for
both PNG and TGA.
Anyway, the usual way is to use default 24 bit output, or +fn or +ft.  If it
were +fn16 you would get a 48 bit image.  Which BTW is mentioned in the Doc
under Height Field as being a better grayscale image.  I've yet to see that
to be true.
That said, all I ever get is 8 bit output for PNG grayscale images.  And I
don't think I have a viewer capable of seeing 48 bit images, they reduce to
24 in my image programs; either that or the output is always truncated.

Bob H.