POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Continue with Radiosity Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:27:05 EDT (-0400)
  Continue with Radiosity (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Patrick Dugan
Subject: Re: Continue with Radiosity
Date: 21 Oct 2001 21:20:44
Message: <3bd3746c@news.povray.org>
Well I tried a very simple render using a simple mapped sphere and used the
large size image. This is still with beta 5.   This (of course) renders
correctly
and does not exhibit the continue problem the other image has.  Is there
anything I could have accidentally placed in the scene (that fails to
continue) that would suppress the continue?

I'll try the failing render with beta 6 to see if there is any difference.

"Bob H." <omn### [at] msncom> wrote in message
> "Patrick Dugan" <pat### [at] netinsnet> wrote in message
> > If I'm not crazy (because it doesn't work for me) then could the issue
be
> > due to the radiosity block size?  In other words lets say the initial
> block
> > size of the rendering using radiosity is ~100 lines (100x100) or so.
> (First
> > pass)  Since my image is large (10240x7680) If during my render the
actual
> > LINES rendered (after the "blocks" are done and its now line-by-line)
are
> > lower than the initial block size, then Povray feels it has to start
over
> or
> > at least start at an even initial block size amount and not the actual
> line
> > it was on?
> >
> > So in this case it starts at zero because it hadn't actually rendered at
> > least 100 lines
> >
> > Just trying to understand how to make the continue actually work on this
> > large image.
>
> I hadn't tried the same resolution, would take awhile for that.  I didn't
> see a restart back to the beginning with a smaller render, whether larger
> percentages (blocks) were used or not.  Have you checked this out against
> small resolution?
> What I did see is the infamous coloration shift from a continued partial
> render.  Beta 6 BTW, and you stated this was about beta 5.
> Haven't seen what system that was on, if it makes a difference such as
> memory amount or something.
>
> Bob H.

Post a reply to this message

> Well I tried a very simple render using a simple mapped sphere and used
the
> large size image. This is still with beta 5.   This (of course) renders
> correctly
> and does not exhibit the continue problem the other image has.  Is there
> anything I could have accidentally placed in the scene (that fails to
> continue) that would suppress the continue?
>
> I'll try the failing render with beta 6 to see if there is any difference.

Probably safe to say nothing in a scene could cause a preview window to
redraw from the start.  If there is it'd be a real odd occurance.  Going
from 5 to 6 betas is a good idea since changes had been made, however mosaic
previews still crash when stopped.

Bob H.